RAF Peterhead (Longside) Visited March 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax__

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Visited RAF Peterhead mid March- [url]http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=57.51....7&r=0&src=msa[/URL] -sorry there is pretty bad coverage of this area..

It was built originally in 1915 as RNAS Longside which was a base for Airships. It was officially opened as RAF Peterhead in 1941 it was closed in 1945 and auctioned off in 1959. Part of the base is used for private planes and part is owned by CHC Scotia as a support base for the Helicopters used to ferry oil workers offshore. I didn't try and enter the main area of the base as there were plenty planes taxiing etc...Although the Control Tower has been demolished I believe there are still some substantial buildings on site... I previously posted this on 28dl but I thought you guys would like to see it..:)

IMG_1696Small.jpg

IMG_1672Small.jpg

IMG_1683Small.jpg

IMG_1685Small.jpg

IMG_1688Small.jpg

IMG_1697Small.jpg

IMG_1699Small.jpg

IMG_1701Small.jpg

IMG_1707Small.jpg

IMG_1704Small.jpg

Andy

Woah! That pillbox is absolutely fantastic, that does look as though it's a very interesting place for a wander. The air raid shelter in the mound of earth looks to me like a dispersal pen for fighter aircraft, basically a W shape that would have housed two aircraft with an emergency shelter for ground staff to avoid attacking enemy aircraft.

Plan of a dispersal pen.

DispersalBay.jpg

Thank you for posting Bax__.

B :)

Woah! That pillbox is absolutely fantastic, that does look as though it's a very interesting place for a wander. The air raid shelter in the mound of earth looks to me like a dispersal pen for fighter aircraft, basically a W shape that would have housed two aircraft with an emergency shelter for ground staff to avoid attacking enemy aircraft.

Plan of a dispersal pen.

DispersalBay.jpg

Thank you for posting Bax__.

B :)

Bishop,

That is correct there are a few intact dispersal pens and pillboxes. I need to go back to find the Battle HQ and some of the other buildings

Andy

Nice one - there's a few good 'uns like that in this neck of the woods :)

Bishop thanks for posting that dispersal plan, I've been in a few of 'em, nice to see what they would have been like before nature took over.

Hey Zimbob!

Is Bryag going to be joining us on here? If you two are ever heading east and want to meet up give me a shout!

Andy

Hey Bax__ good luck in finding the Battle HQ I know from experience that they can be a bit of a bugger to track down. Now in theory they should be fairly close to the control tower but the location of Battle HQs was decided by the base commander so sometimes they can be a fair way from where you'd expect.

Zimbob. Glad you dig the Dispersal Pen pic.

B

I went back here today just to try and find the Battle HQ and see what else was on the go, I also wanted to confirm the Op's block had gone.

First disapointment was that there was a big modern house on the site of the Op's block..The Battle HQ was quickly located but in a field full of sheep with young lambs so that will have to be visited again in the future. The farmer was in the next field so I didn't want to disturb his animals...

Battle HQ....
IMG_2278Medium.jpg

Strange building with internal store...
IMG_2280Medium.jpg

I don't think this interal structure is originally part of the outer walls but I'm will to be wrong!
IMG_2281Medium.jpg

Other stuff....

IMG_2282Medium.jpg

IMG_2284Medium.jpg

IMG_2285Medium.jpg

IMG_2286Medium.jpg

Another decent pillbox this makes 4 on the site so far..

IMG_2279Medium.jpg

Then home to watch a rather boring Grand Prix....

Andy

BAX......I'm Here!:mrgreen:

Sounds like a damn fine plan. We have still to conquer the tower at Boyndie yet, so a trip out east soon is definitely on the cards. As soon as Zimbob and I can co-ordinate our days off, we will give you a shout!:D

That last pic shows some serious fence action. I am disappointed the security sheep beat you this time!

The sheep wouldn't have bothered me but the fact the lambs were there and the farmer was in the next field that did. I'm sure he wouldn't want me worrying his sheep - No I'm not an Aberdeen supporter!:lol:

I've not done Boyndie yet so that would be good for me too.

The fence action is only around a small company so most of all the intact features are easily enough accessed.

Cool we'll keep you posted!:)

Bax_ said:
The fence action is only around a small company so most of all the intact features are easily enough accessed.

Ahhh! That's good, it looks like a ministry of "D" fence:p

Ah, yes. April thread. No wonder I missed it. No need for my piccies then.

I believe the security fence is because the small factory makes explosives. Hence the earth banking. I'm sure that's what was in the planning application anyway.

Really! (shakes head slowly from side to side):p

Anyway, scary front-bottom woman was at RAF Banff, as Bax will remember, they already had a run in with the highland coos:mrgreen:, and been snared up by the electric fence, by the time we happened upon them:lol::lol::lol:

Similar? Or is the one at Longside actually a pig shelter as I first thought until I saw Bignickb's thread? :D

:lol: Certainly looks like a ruck pillbox (or possibly part of a stanton shelter), especially as it's built using concrete. All the pig shelters I've seen in that kind of shape are made from metal. A good use for it though! :mrgreen:

:lol: Certainly looks like a ruck pillbox (or possibly part of a stanton shelter), especially as it's built using concrete. All the pig shelters I've seen in that kind of shape are made from metal. A good use for it though! :mrgreen:

Are you sure it's not a ruck shelter or a stanton pillbox?

Latest posts

Back