Raf Sudbury (Gt Waldingfield) - Suffolk July 2003

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spitfire

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This site was a WW2 Haeavy Bomber Base. It was called Raf Sudbury but it's nearer Great Walding field. When I visited over 7 years ago not a lot was left but I did see a hanger being used to store darmers stuff. Parts of the runway are still there but it is mainly agriculture use now. There is a massive cement works on the main area.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...=52.042319,0.76164005,2133.13,-0.008,44.981,0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sudbury-8jul45.png

GTWALDINGFIELDMEMORIAL.jpg

GTWALDINGFIELDPERITRACK.jpg

GTWALDINGFIELD.jpg

GTWALDINGIELDHANGER203.jpg

GTWALDINGFIELDBUILDINGS2.jpg

GTWALDINGFIELDBUILDINGS1.jpg

GTWALDINGFIELDAIRFIELD.jpg

GTWALDINGFIELDBUILDINGS3.jpg

GTWALDINGFIELDBUNKER.jpg

GTWALDINGFIELDHANGER202.jpg

GTWALDINGFIELDHANGER2.jpg

Spitfire,I must ask..you seem to have gone through a mega period of visiting RAF bases in and around 2003..can I ask what made you get so interested?Damn good job you have done all the same.

Spitfire,I must ask..you seem to have gone through a mega period of visiting RAF bases in and around 2003..can I ask what made you get so interested?Damn good job you have done all the same.

I have allways been into history but WW2 history and military I find very interesting. Back in the early part of the decade I had more time on my hands and wasnt a family man so found the time to get around these places. My family lived near an Raf base during the 1940's so it kind of runs in the blood!

Also I was writing a script for a film about UFO's being tested at an airbase so was looking for a good location as well. Sadly the MOD did not want to allow it at a couple of places I applied such as West Raynham.

Spitfire - this is good. I find it very moving when such airfields are recorded especially when you think of who flew from them. The Americans by day the RAF by night. I recently went to East Kirkby to watch the Lancaster there do a night time taxi run. You watch this and you think of the personnel who crewed such aircraft were typically only 18 to 25 years old. It was the same with the Americans only by day. True courage and bravery. Looking at your post and I think of all the lives that passed through here, some not returning. Thanks for posting Spitfire.

Hey Spitfire

thanks for the post as this is just 5 miles away from me and go past it every day into work so good to see it on a post - glad you found the ROC post been looking for it for a while.

could I PM you about another airfield a bit to the north of this one if interested?

pdm

Hey Spitfire

thanks for the post as this is just 5 miles away from me and go past it every day into work so good to see it on a post - glad you found the ROC post been looking for it for a while.

could I PM you about another airfield a bit to the north of this one if interested?

pdm

Yes thats fine

mmm normaly id find a threads like this rather dire but seeing as i grew up around Sudbury, living in Waldingfield for most of my childhood infact i guess its a little interesting..

The ROC is yet to be properly explored, i couldnt get permission to lop the locks off so i stuck a camera down the FSM insted. Its not empty!

Latest posts

Back