RAF Warboys DF Station

Help Support Derelict Places:

jsp77

Regular Member
Veteran Member
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
955
Reaction score
3,148
Location
Hertfordshire
Warboys opened as a training airfield in 1941. In August 1942 the newly-formed 156 Squadron moved in with Vickers Wellingtons. There they remained until March 1944. They became part of No.8 Group’s Pathfinder Force and remained in this role for the rest of the European war, flying first Wellingtons and then the four-engined Lancasters. Their role was to mark targets with incendiary bombs and flares. The squadron played a major part in Bomber Command’s offensive. During operations the squadron lost 45 Wellingtons and 117 Lancaster Bombers.

The DF(Directional Finding)Station was used to triangulate the position of planes using radio signals or radar. There was a preimeter blast proof wall surrounding the DF Station roughly 4 feet thick with a walkway inbetween. This site has seen better days but with the nice light that shines through there are some good photos to be taken.

on with the photos

31068376241_88d8bf8d6d_b.jpg1

31182617875_b9febb4d16_b.jpg2

31183673725_338654693e_b.jpg3

31068324441_54b8cd3815_b.jpg4

31146897566_29d5031a25_b.jpg5

31146892886_fd6a398a42_b.jpg6

31182584665_ae22355b5b_b.jpg7

30361443814_c4f44129c0_b.jpg8

30361424484_4b74c09973_b.jpg9

31069612341_1464c8b875_b.jpg10

30375531993_0b7d321ae7_b.jpg11

30375518163_9b7eed5195_b.jpg12

30375479173_203f4248b0_b.jpg13

31068190921_17ee5355bf_b.jpg14

thanks for looking
 
Top