RAF West Raynham April 17

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impact

Reaction score
Before I start, this is my first ever report so please be kind, this is also my first time ever using a camera (other then a phone camera).

This site has been done quite a lot by much more experienced explorers so I will just give a very brief history.

The History:
The airfield opened during May 1939 and was used by RAF Bomber Command during the Second World War with the loss of 86 aircraft.The station closed in 1994, though the Ministry of Defence (MoD) retained it as a strategic reserve. Having laid derelict since closure, the MoD elected in 2004 that it was surplus to requirements, and the site was sold in 2006. Part of the site is now a "Business Park" although it is hard to tell the occupied units amongst the derelict buildings.

We where met by a very grumpy power hungry "Site Manager" who wasn't very happy to see us. Luckily we where just leaving.

This site is huge and we didn't have enough time in a day to see everything. I Highly recommend a visit to anyone who is thinking of making the trip out to norfolk. Anyway on with some pictures!

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

This was an underground bunker in the living quarters. This is the entrance door.
DSC00049.jpg

This was the way out.
DSC00050%20copy.jpg

Hopefully this will be dry for my next visit.
DSC00054.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

Up we went.
DSC00071.jpg

Such a great view from the top.
DSC00075.jpg

Then we found the gym.
DSC00081.jpg

Untitled.png

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

If you made it this far, thank you for viewing my first ever report. Any feedback welcome. Hopefully my photography will become better with time..

- Chris

Top notch first report! Photos are great and very sharp. Good work :mrgreen:

Really nice! Nothing wrong with it at all.

Try googling the law of thirds principle of photography, understanding it will help your composition. :)

Great shots! I don't believe that's your first time using a camera other than your phone! Sharp shots:D

I've been here many times and never seen the piano or the gym so you have made me want another revisit!

Not bad for your first post. Just one niggle I found a lot of photos which have been taken at an angle. For instance the piano shot, try face-on and fill the frame with the piano. And have a look on You Tube for videos about the rule of thirds. That's all. The photos are nice and sharp.

theyve gone to town boarding the officers mess !!
and where did the piano come from ?

Nicw first report.been numerous times and been in just about everything now.the piano appeared earlier in the year when I went.but I went and took the girlfriend a few weeks back and I was shocked how much they had gone to work on the mess.boards everywhere.heras fence right around the back.every thing screwed.glad you found a way in.the hangar is lovely there.and missed by most

Latest posts

Back