RAF West Raynham, Norfolk. Pic Heavy.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That writing is interesting, it looks like there was some police training on the site.

Nice shots Shuck,I am itching to do this site as my grandfather was stationed here during the war as an aircraft fitter on Blenheims. The references to it being similar to Upwood is spooky as he was also stationed there! By the way West Raynham opened officially in May 1939

Nice shots Shuck,I am itching to do this site as my grandfather was stationed here during the war as an aircraft fitter on Blenheims. The references to it being similar to Upwood is spooky as he was also stationed there! By the way West Raynham opened officially in May 1939

If you do get the chance its well worth it, I was a little overawed by it! I though the opening time was as early as the late thirties but could not find an exact date. Ta for that. West Raynham reminded me of Duxford!?

Last edited:
Great pics guys, of all the things to expect in the hanger I wouln't have put 'boat' up there!
Hypoboy, your first three pics could easily be from Upwood! The military aren't famous for their architectural variety I suppose!
Well done!

Hypoboy, your first three pics could easily be from Upwood!

The block with the tiny staircase was absolutely identical, right down to the hatch in the roof for the dumb waiter. The whole place was like some strange cross between Upwood and Duxford.

Great pics guys. It's not often you see a non-trashed RAF base nowadays. I visited this place briefly in my teens although from the other side of the fence to view the Bloodhound Missiles, so it's good to see the "inner" contents, thanks for posting guys.

Great pics guys. It's not often you see a non-trashed RAF base nowadays. I visited this place briefly in my teens although from the other side of the fence to view the Bloodhound Missiles, so it's good to see the "inner" contents, thanks for posting guys.

Thanks Badoosh it was intact and had very little Damage. We did go round the other side of the Field to find B.H.Q and West Raynham ROC , but the B.H.Q was inpenetrable with Brambles as Hypo found out and the ROC had no Ladder in it!

The block with the tiny staircase was absolutely identical, right down to the hatch in the roof for the dumb waiter. The whole place was like some strange cross between Upwood and Duxford.

Those C Type Hangars Hypo? They are the same as at Duxford arent they?

Good stuff BS the water tower and admin block are the same design as the one at RAF Silloth as well. Great to see this place hasn't been trashed like most sites

Good stuff BS the water tower and admin block are the same design as the one at RAF Silloth as well. Great to see this place hasn't been trashed like most sites

Thanks a lot Jonney, This was by far one of my most Favourite explores since I have been into Urbex. Everything was just so Untrashed , it was absolutely Magnificent and I felt rather Priveleged to be there. I guess somewhere that played a big part in shaping our Countrys Destiny all those years ago. It was very Evocative, specially the Airmnens Restaurant. It was silent and would have at one Point been full to the Brim, a Hive of Activity, with Airmen And Aircrew laughing and joking over their Dinners or mourning the Loss of fellow Pilots who Had not made it Back. All these things were going through my Mind because there was just soo much left, just one thing Missing, the People. You get what I mean?

Thanks a lot Jonney, This was by far one of my most Favourite explores since I have been into Urbex. Everything was just so Untrashed, it was absolutely Magnificent and I felt rather Priveleged to be there. I guess somewhere that played a big part in shaping our Countrys Destiny all those years ago. It was very Evocative, specially the Airmens Restaurant. It was silent and would have at one Point been full to the Brim, a Hive of Activity, with Airmen And Aircrew laughing and joking over their Dinners or mourning the Loss of fellow Pilots who Had not made it Back. All these thigs were going through my Mind because there was just soo much left, just one thing Missing, the People. You get what I mean?

I just wish we could of got into the control tower! You have got to come to upwood, i know you can climb that water tower!

Went today, got to top of newer control tower, water tower and into a decontam. bunker (look out for my report soon). 5 HOURS walking around (p*ssed down with rain also), knackered, but what a mint place, saw NO graff. PS only place I couldnt get in was the hangers!

If you go back, PM me for access tips to any areas your interested in...

Cheers

I would've said Upwood, so ssimiliar, I used to go to the 4th July celebrations at Upwood when it was active, got stopped by the MP's and told to remove my crash helmet because I was on American soil once.

I worked as a subbie once and did jobs at Upwood, Alconbury, Wyton, Lakenheath, Bentwaters, oakington, etc, I wonder how many of them have the floors lifting that I fitted now, LOL

I would've said Upwood, so ssimiliar, I used to go to the 4th July celebrations at Upwood when it was active, got stopped by the MP's and told to remove my crash helmet because I was on American soil once.

I worked as a subbie once and did jobs at Upwood, Alconbury, Wyton, Lakenheath, Bentwaters, oakington, etc, I wonder how many of them have the floors lifting that I fitted now, LOL

Thats right Pug! I visited a while back now with Hypoboy, Mabs and Kizza and they are based in Cambs or thereabouts. They were suprised how much like Upwood it was, only more Intact is exactly there words!:)

Back