RAF West Raynham

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
RAF West Raynham in Norfolk was used for Bloodhound Missile training. It has recently been de-commissioned by the MoD, so we thought we’d grab the opportunity.

Visited with Cavewheel & ubdvcv, my main agenda was getting to the dome…

From outside the perimeter things looked grim:
IMG_4790.jpg

No entry eh? The Fire station & Control Tower.
IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

Ever fancy turning up your Brilliancy?
IMG_4699.jpg

I always find it creepy when the curtains still blow in the breeze…
IMG_4721.jpg

Someone ALWAYS has to creep behind and do the bunny ears!
IMG_4725.jpg

Time for THE DOME…
IMG_4746.jpg

The dome is about 70ft across, and is in effect a 360 decree projection screen. The thing that hits you the most about the dome is the noise. The click of a camera shutter echo’s round continuously for 10 seconds, sounding like a helicopter landing!

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_4765.jpg

Me putting the ‘X’ into Exploration!
IMG_4772ED.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

Last silhouette shot I promise!
IMG_4777.jpg

Last edited:
Re: RAF West Raynham (Busted!)

Excellent report, shame about getting busted though, like the brilliancy shot :mrgreen:

Please stop making references to security, it's against site rules.

love the silotte shots, and would like to of heard the echo'in of shutters :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Super pics, Love the dome, and the Brilliancy:lol:. think i might have to drop in and replenish my Brilliancy

Cheers for comments guys, it's an immense site.
(Security detail edited, hope just saying they were "on the ball" is OK!)

The site was used for Bloodhound Missile training. Which are air to ground and normally on a trailer thingy (I think). The dome works as a massve 360 degree screen. Matey boy to be trained is put in the middle of the dome, and they can fly planes past for him or her to aim at, so if a plane is coming over his (or her) left shoulder, then it will appear literally over his or her left shoulder.
I'd go as for to assume they had a headset / ear defenders on!

Definitely the weirdest place I've ever explored.

The site was used for Bloodhound Missile training. Which are air to ground and normally on a trailer thingy (I think). The dome works as a massve 360 degree screen. Matey boy to be trained is put in the middle of the dome, and they can fly planes past for him or her to aim at, so if a plane is coming over his (or her) left shoulder, then it will appear literally over his or her left shoulder.
I'd go as for to assume they had a headset / ear defenders on!

Definitely the weirdest place I've ever explored.

Aaah, cheers UrbanX. Sounds brilliant.

:) Sal

I read in my local newspaper that the houses on the site are being sold off, but first they had been cleaned up by local Polish and Lith Workers.They want to make the place some sort of eco village.

Yep, some of the houses have been refurbed (sales office and all). Some still lie derelict but nothing special to see, well not when there's a control tower, and dome near by!
If they thurn the dome to an Eco-House then I'll put an offer in! :p

Latest posts

Back