Rampgill lead mine, Cumbria

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigLoada

This mine was started off by Greenwich Hospital in the 1730s however its possible that the rampgill vein was worked back in the 1690s.

The London Lead Co took over in 1745 and the mine was developed very quickly with a huge annual yield, the vein being very rich. The Vielle Montagne company worked the mine for zinc in the early 1900s until about 1921.

Heres a smal selection of pictures...

3038735327_71cf6d703f_b.png

3038654467_bb73a7feb1_b.png

Playing with backlighting...
3038744201_58a3f30eae_b.png

First engine shaft

3039227130_607ee7bc14_b.png

The following two photos show sections of roadway that had been dug out by explorers who also put the supports in place.

3038506779_bce4232d94_b.png

3039326048_1b6fa5cb46_b.png

This gate actually marks the county boundary between Durham and Northumberland. How accurate it is isn't known!
3039374782_af5cd7027d_b.png

Rise into flats above

3039398714_bae6bc70d2_b.png

Another engine shaft. Collapsed, it now only goes down about 40 feet

3039269644_9fb0fba2e9_b.png

3039502698_0b7162a018_b.png

3039357536_912fbe581e_b.png

3038754699_a45ce791c1_b.png

Nicely captured, have you done any of the mines in the Lake District?

Thanks man. Havent been over there yet, too much to do in this area at the moment but I fancy Carrock and maybe Coniston at some point.

Nice mate. :)

Wish I could have come with you then. :(

I still think this mine is the best I've seen posted so far. It seems to have everything we like in a place like this.

Nice pics Lithium, was this an explore or part of the Nenthead visitor centre ?

Phil

Cheers Shatters, it was an explore mate. I have never been into the visitor centre or the show mine yet actually, must have a look next time I am down there.

Sausage, we'll go back when you feel better, there are a few nice wet crawls, you'll love it!

Another spot on mine report there mate.
Those pics are great. The torch your using does a good job down there. Nice and atmospheric.
Anything with rails down is a big bonus too. :)

As usual superb pics so clear and crisp well done.

Thanks all for the nice words:) Phill, that was just the Fenix T1 and the Stenlight S7. Need to take more lighting next time, I am getting quite into the backlighting thing.

Looks like a good explore, Lithium. Is this a walk-in-mine, or did you have to use your SRT training?

It depends how you go in! I took the gear but we went in by the main portal. You can drop down into Rampgill from Smallcleugh above if you want though.

Very, very nice, I do like this. Like the twin tunnels down there too. Excellent pics, wouldn't mind a nosey at this sometime, if ever we're up your way.

Cheers,

:) Sal

Thanks Sal, anytime you guys want some lead mine action give me a shout :) By the way, the twin tunnels are through the same level. There was a seperate roadway for full ore tubs coming out-bye and empty ones going in. They had to do this because it was such a rich vein and was so busy.

Lithium - might see if I can manage a trip out with you and Sausage, next summer - assuming the little'un is still doing well and I get a 'Pass Out' from the wife. :) I'd still love to go down a mine, sometime - one with high ceilings though. :D

Lithium - might see if I can manage a trip out with you and Sausage, next summer - assuming the little'un is still doing well and I get a 'Pass Out' from the wife. :) I'd still love to go down a mine, sometime - one with high ceilings though. :D

That would be good mate, though you'll be lucky to get high roofs up here. You miht have to go to a slate mine in Wales:mrgreen:

Nah, I'll find something suitable mate!

Latest posts

Back