Red Star Graveyard - Budapest, Oct 21

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdCrane

Reaction score
A couple of stops outside of Budapest lies an abandoned train depot. Well I say abandoned, there’s still a working site around it, but the trains and container sit their unused for years. The land has started to take over; graffiti and fire leave their scars across the place.

It seemed quite an interesting site and gave me my first chance to explore a derelict site abroad while on a short holiday to Budapest.

A brief history of the site (largely stolen from AbadonedSpaces.com):
In the first few years of the 20th century, this depot was built as a repair complex for the national railway. One of the workshop halls measures 24,000 square meters (28,704 square yards) and was actually Budapest’s largest building in 1902. The depot was busy during its lifetime. As well as servicing active trains, older wagons and locomotives were brought there for repair or restoration before being sent on to the Budapest Railway Museum.

But WWII, and steam trains becoming obsolete took a heavy toll on the depot, and the site was gradually abandoned, although the southern part is still used for repairing modern trains. It appears that many of the locomotives earmarked for the museum were just left where they stood, possibly due to a lack of funds.

Trains at the Red Star Train Graveyard include rare Hungarian MAV 424 steam engines, German freight cars, and Soviet cars from the 1960s. A couple of the Hungarian steam engines have a red star on the front, which is how the place got its name among the locals. In addition, one of the trains left on the site is a MAV 301 engine, one of only a few still in existence. According to rumours, there is a strong possibility that some of the German freight cars stored there were ones used to transport Hungarian Jews to Auschwitz during the Nazi occupation of World War II.

Over time, the Red Star Train Graveyard has become overgrown by plants and the trains have succumbed to rust, but that hasn’t stopped it from becoming a unique local attraction.

So having some time free on a wet Sunday I set off to explore this interesting place. The site was in a cool state. I was nervous at first as I’d heard that it was still adjacent to a working site and did see a group of people walking to one of the gates when I was inside so went behind some trains until I got into the main depot. Here was a wide variety of trains which I cautiously went around as with the raining dripping through the broken roof it sounded like others were inside.

Eventually I got confident and openly explored the places getting lots of pictures. As said it’s not an abandoned site which I was reminded of when I heard some voices. A couple of security guards had spotted me and even with a big language barrier it was easy to understand they were telling me to bugger off and not come back. Having been inside for about an hour I was almost ready to go anyway so prompt left, but have several photos to share. Please see below and enjoy:

IMG_7797.JPG
IMG_7806.JPG
IMG_7815.JPG
IMG_7833.JPG
IMG_7841.JPG
IMG_7870.JPG
IMG_7875.JPG
IMG_7876.JPG
IMG_7879.JPG
IMG_7893.JPG
IMG_7898.JPG
IMG_7910.JPG
IMG_7916.JPG
IMG_7932.JPG
IMG_7942.JPG
IMG_7955.JPG
IMG_7962.JPG
IMG_7969.JPG
IMG_7984.JPG

Thanks for reading.

Always wanted to do this one but such a shame about the fire.
With that & some rubbish graff & vandalism now I certainly wont make a special trip but still really interesting to see

Always wanted to do this one but such a shame about the fire.
With that & some rubbish graff & vandalism now I certainly wont make a special trip but still really interesting to see
Yeah, plenty of man made decay unfortunately. I decided on Budapest first so was a nice addition to the trip.

By an odd coincidence I was visiting friends Near Budapest the weekend before last and traveling into the centre on the train from Maglod I spotted a large derelict looking industrial area on the left about 3/4 of the way in. I had earmarked it for a future visit though it could very well be the same place you've just been. I visited the railway museum on a previous trip and though the trains are not very well looked after and most of the info is in Hungarian, the engines are still stunning and it's still one of the most interesting railway museums I've seen. Hungary built and maintained some of the most advanced steam engines in the Soviet Union I think.
BPRM.jpg

By an odd coincidence I was visiting friends Near Budapest the weekend before last and traveling into the centre on the train from Maglod I spotted a large derelict looking industrial area on the left about 3/4 of the way in. I had earmarked it for a future visit though it could very well be the same place you've just been. I visited the railway museum on a previous trip and though the trains are not very well looked after and most of the info is in Hungarian, the engines are still stunning and it's still one of the most interesting railway museums I've seen. Hungary built and maintained some of the most advanced steam engines in the Soviet Union I think.View attachment 515296
Not sure of all Hungarian train lines, but I'm guessing what you saw was a bit further south than where I was. The site itself is still active it's just when you get inside you see the abandonded trains. I didn't realise until I was doing some resaeach for the report that Hungary was definitely had a massive train history. Certainly in the Soviet era.

By an odd coincidence I was visiting friends Near Budapest the weekend before last and traveling into the centre on the train from Maglod I spotted a large derelict looking industrial area on the left about 3/4 of the way in. I had earmarked it for a future visit though it could very well be the same place you've just been. I visited the railway museum on a previous trip and though the trains are not very well looked after and most of the info is in Hungarian, the engines are still stunning and it's still one of the most interesting railway museums I've seen. Hungary built and maintained some of the most advanced steam engines in the Soviet Union I think.View attachment 515296
Yes, post 1945 the Continentals were trying all manner of ideas to improve the efficiency of the steam locomotive. Not that the results could have been called handsome; very much "form follows function".

Not sure of all Hungarian train lines, but I'm guessing what you saw was a bit further south than where I was. The site itself is still active it's just when you get inside you see the abandonded trains. I didn't realise until I was doing some resaeach for the report that Hungary was definitely had a massive train history. Certainly in the Soviet era.
Yes, I too had no idea about the importance of Hungary and Budapest in the Soviet railway era until I visited the museum with Hungarian friends.

A couple of stops outside of Budapest lies an abandoned train depot. Well I say abandoned, there’s still a working site around it, but the trains and container sit their unused for years. The land has started to take over; graffiti and fire leave their scars across the place.

It seemed quite an interesting site and gave me my first chance to explore a derelict site abroad while on a short holiday to Budapest.

A brief history of the site (largely stolen from AbadonedSpaces.com):
In the first few years of the 20th century, this depot was built as a repair complex for the national railway. One of the workshop halls measures 24,000 square meters (28,704 square yards) and was actually Budapest’s largest building in 1902. The depot was busy during its lifetime. As well as servicing active trains, older wagons and locomotives were brought there for repair or restoration before being sent on to the Budapest Railway Museum.

But WWII, and steam trains becoming obsolete took a heavy toll on the depot, and the site was gradually abandoned, although the southern part is still used for repairing modern trains. It appears that many of the locomotives earmarked for the museum were just left where they stood, possibly due to a lack of funds.

Trains at the Red Star Train Graveyard include rare Hungarian MAV 424 steam engines, German freight cars, and Soviet cars from the 1960s. A couple of the Hungarian steam engines have a red star on the front, which is how the place got its name among the locals. In addition, one of the trains left on the site is a MAV 301 engine, one of only a few still in existence. According to rumours, there is a strong possibility that some of the German freight cars stored there were ones used to transport Hungarian Jews to Auschwitz during the Nazi occupation of World War II.

Over time, the Red Star Train Graveyard has become overgrown by plants and the trains have succumbed to rust, but that hasn’t stopped it from becoming a unique local attraction.

So having some time free on a wet Sunday I set off to explore this interesting place. The site was in a cool state. I was nervous at first as I’d heard that it was still adjacent to a working site and did see a group of people walking to one of the gates when I was inside so went behind some trains until I got into the main depot. Here was a wide variety of trains which I cautiously went around as with the raining dripping through the broken roof it sounded like others were inside.

Eventually I got confident and openly explored the places getting lots of pictures. As said it’s not an abandoned site which I was reminded of when I heard some voices. A couple of security guards had spotted me and even with a big language barrier it was easy to understand they were telling me to bugger off and not come back. Having been inside for about an hour I was almost ready to go anyway so prompt left, but have several photos to share. Please see below and enjoy:

View attachment 515258View attachment 515259View attachment 515260View attachment 515261View attachment 515262View attachment 515263View attachment 515264View attachment 515265View attachment 515266View attachment 515267View attachment 515268View attachment 515269View attachment 515270View attachment 515271View attachment 515272View attachment 515273View attachment 515274View attachment 515275View attachment 515276

Thanks for reading.
thanks for the pics and history - great stuff

Back