REPORT – FLEETWOOD MARSH BOAT WRECKS, FLEETWOOD, LANCASHIRE , FEBRUARY 2021

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganglion

Reaction score
A brief History of the Fleetwood Boat Wrecks.

Fleetwood / skippol creeks has many timber and metal boats that are in a decaying state of disrepair. There is some history about these boats and some literature state that they were dumped where they stand, during the Cod fishing war in the 1970s. The ship owners were apparently paid, to abandon and scrap them.

The boats have laid here for over 40 years just rotting away.

My Visit

I visited these wrecks around ten years prior, and I have been super interested to return and see what state they are in now. Two of the wooden boats that were there last time, have melted into the scenery and soon will be no longer. The two metal boats are still in a rough battle with father time. Like everything, they will return to the ground, but for now they stand strong.

As per last visit, the mud is treacherous, not for the feint hearted or clean conscious person and in places, the sinking mud honestly can pose as a life threatening terrain. I really had to be careful. Go with a travel buddy if you take a visit.

When the sun came out, the rusty hulls really did glow and the beautiful colour shone through.

My granddad was a fisherman in Fleetwood when he was younger, and after he passed, I went and discovered this site that he had always talked about when I was a kid.

I will return in another ten years, to document the remains once again.

I have a youtube video about the visit which can be seen here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HoyrXy9Pyt8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

boats fleetwood 15.jpg
boats fleetwood 113.jpg
boats fleetwood 95.jpg
boats fleetwood 26.jpg
boats fleetwood 37.jpg
boats fleetwood 42.jpg
boats fleetwood 47.jpg
boats fleetwood 61.jpg

boats fleetwood 78.jpg
boats fleetwood 83.jpg

This is nice, great shots particularly the last one
Hey Funky Muffin, Thank you so much! i have a youtube channel with a short video about the location with lots more photos to check out. please take a look and let me know what you think, link here:
Consider subscribing to my channel if you like this sort of thing as i have lots more videos!

Hey Funky Muffin, Thank you so much! i have a youtube channel with a short video about the location with lots more photos to check out. please take a look and let me know what you think, link here:
Consider subscribing to my channel if you like this sort of thing as i have lots more videos!

Will do!

Love this and the way you are talking to your grandad RIP. He sounds like an amazing man and great rolemodel. Hope he didn’t drop his teeth on his way back! xx

Back