REPORT – SKIPPOOL CREEK BOAT GRAVEYARD, LANCASHIRE , FEBRUARY 2021

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganglion

Reaction score

STREET ROGUE 3 THUMB.jpg

REPORT – SKIPPOOL CREEK BOAT GRAVEYARD, LANCASHIRE , FEBRUARY 2021

Short History of Skippool Creek.

For hundreds of years Skippool Creek was a major trading port, along with Wardleys Creek at the other side of the River Wyre. It was in constant use by sea going vessels from the end of the Medieval period, before the 1600’s.

Goods arrived here from all around the world. Vessels were unloaded at Skippool (Ship Pool) and traders established a presence further inland at Poulton.

Once a bustling port, ships arrived from as far away as Russia, Barbados and North America would unload their cargoes. Flax was imported from Ireland and the Baltic, timber came from across the Atlantic, sugar and tobacco from the Americas and tallow from Russia.

By the mid 1700’s the amount of shipping at Skippool and Wardleys is believed to have exceeded the Port of Liverpool.

In 1837 Skippool was described as ‘The Metropolis of the Fylde’. Evidence of all of this activity can still be seen off the coast at Anchorsholme. Look out for the ribs of the Abana, wrecked just offshore in 1887. The nearby Shipwreck Memorial documents the astonishing list of wrecks in the area.

My Visit

It was sunrise on new years eve 2020, looking forward into the next year with uncertainty around the pandemic. With a feeling of worldwide claustrophobia, I wandered around this beautiful, health and safety free, old nautical port, fantasising about escaping all the turd that 2020 brought.

Fantastic rotting and decaying boats, rich in hundreds of years of history, some still used by daring roughneck seafarers. The ground is treacherous with sink holes, bogs, mud puddles that go deep and head height wires and rusty pole. Well worth an explore, and as you can see formt he video I made, there is a ton of things to see and do there. A treat for the eyes and mind.

Go at sunrise so you can see it in all its beauty. Stunning place, go before its torn down and replaced with soulless corporate plans.

As usual, I have made a youtube video about the visit which can be seen here:

Please subscribe, like and comment on my YouTube channel to help me grow it. Every like and subscription means that youtube will push these urbex videos out, so the general public can see them. Thanks in advance!

poster prints 76.jpg

poster prints 15.jpg

poster prints.jpg

poster prints 95.jpg
poster prints 90.jpg

poster prints 89.jpg

poster prints 86.jpg

poster prints 84.jpg

poster prints 81.jpg

poster prints 76.jpg

poster prints 70.jpg

poster prints 7.jpg

poster prints 60.jpg

poster prints 55.jpg

poster prints 47.jpg

poster prints 44.jpg

poster prints 18.jpg

poster prints 14.jpg

Attachments

• poster prints 11.jpg
    poster prints 11.jpg
    859.2 KB · Views: 87
This is an excellent place, been here many times.... One word of advice I'd say is to check the tide times or your car will turn into a uboat on the car park

Nice shots thanks for posting

A clever combination of video and stills. Strange how people spend good money of such craft, only for them to be abandoned. Love the mud shots. Similar to the Severn estuary.

A clever combination of video and stills. Strange how people spend good money of such craft, only for them to be abandoned. Love the mud shots. Similar to the Severn estuary.
Except better cus it's "up norf" 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back