Ridge Lea Asylum - Photo Heavy

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPEXTC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one was being touted around for awhile and so we decided to take a look for ourselves.

We were up early for this one and arrived about 07:30am and after quickly making our way into the grounds scouted the building for the way in. It had been recently boarded (the fake blood entrance) but we were in luck as another one was off with a strategically placed small black chair was available to climb onto.

Once in we were hit by the spooky darkness of the boarded lower floors and the amount of vandalism shocked us but I suppose that is the way things are when a place is open so much, closed again, and simply opened back up again. Indeed there have been enough teenagers, Urbex groups and Paranormal Ghost hunters trotting through here recently they could fill the wards up twice over.

However we were here for to capture things for Posterity and found the place very atmospheric and extremely photogenic.

We spent about two and a half hours inside but were spooked a little when we heard noises downstairs. Venturing down we searched but could not find anyone but to our annoyance the noises started again upstairs. An unbeliever in ghosts I can only think that someone had entered behind us and were doing their own thing. We decided to leave them to it and make good our departure.

The History
Lancaster Moor Hospital was Lancashire’s first County Lunatic Asylum. It was formerly known as The County Lunatic Asylum. The decision to build it was taken in 1809, one year after the permissive County Asylums Act, 1808. The hospital opened in 1816 as the County Lunatic Asylum for the County Palatine of Lancaster.

It was only the fourth asylum to be built under the terms of the Act in the country. It was extended in 1824 and 1883, and by 1891 it accommodated 1833 patients. In that year its administration was transferred to the new Lancashire Asylums Board of Lancashire County Council.

Additional buildings, known as Ridge Lea, on the ‘villa’ principle were added in 1907, 1909, 1912, 1916 and 1938. These buildings were chiefly to accommodate private patients.

RIDGE LEA finally closed down in 2016 and the nearby Lancaster Moor site and Chapel has now become houses and apartments.

Thanks for peeping.

IMG_1499.JPGIMG_1503.JPGIMG_1505.JPGIMG_1507.JPGIMG_1511.JPGIMG_1514.JPGIMG_1517.JPGIMG_1540.JPGIMG_1542.JPGIMG_1543.JPGIMG_1544.JPGIMG_1552.JPGIMG_1555.JPGIMG_1556.JPGIMG_1558.JPGIMG_1561.JPGIMG_1569.JPGIMG_1571.JPGIMG_6912.JPGIMG_6915.JPGIMG_6920.JPGIMG_6922.JPGIMG_7034.JPGIMG_7037.JPGIMG_7040.JPGIMG_7053.JPGIMG_7055.JPGIMG_7056.JPGIMG_7057.JPGIMG_7073.JPGIMG_7074.JPGIMG_7075.JPGIMG_7078.JPGIMG_7084.JPGIMG_7104.JPGIMG_7106.JPGIMG_7111.JPGIMG_7113.JPGIMG_7116.JPGIMG_7121.JPGIMG_7127.JPGIMG_7128.JPGIMG_7139.JPGIMG_7143.JPGIMG_7149.JPGIMG_7150.JPGIMG_7158.JPGIMG_7171.JPGIMG_7172.JPGIMG_7173.JPG

Very good report and photos. Urbex and spook hunters I understand but why do other people feel the need to get in and vandalise? Can`t get my head round that one.

Very good report and photos. Urbex and spook hunters I understand but why do other people feel the need to get in and vandalise? Can`t get my head round that one.
"but why do other people feel the need to get in and vandalise?" Because they are criminally insane? “People hate anything well made - it gives them a sense of guilt” - said by John Betjeman in Branch Line Railway, the Somerset & Dorset Joint, video tape/TV ptrogramme.

"but why do other people feel the need to get in and vandalise?" Because they are criminally insane? “People hate anything well made - it gives them a sense of guilt” - said by John Betjeman in Branch Line Railway, the Somerset & Dorset Joint, video tape/TV ptrogramme.
And he wasn`t wrong either.

This location has really deteriorated in a short amount of time. I know there has been calls for the demolition of the building which have been refused. It’s a shame to see the amount of vandalism that has taken place here. I’ll never understand that.

This location has really deteriorated in a short amount of time. I know there has been calls for the demolition of the building which have been refused. It’s a shame to see the amount of vandalism that has taken place here. I’ll never understand that.
It’s a human related sickness. 😎

Latest posts

Back