Rocket Testing Site @ The Needles - Isle of Wight - PIC HEAVY

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres a recent article in the local paper, that may interst a few of you;

Isle of Wight County Press said:
Return of rocket men for launch
By David Newble - Thursday, March 19, 2009

newsimg_r11155.jpg

Rocket men Mike Kelleway, left, and Mike Elliott at The Needles New Battery, for the launch of the National Science and Engineering Week. Picture by Robin Crossley.

BRITAIN’S race for space took centre stage at the weekend when former rocket men involved in the Black Knight and Black Arrow programmes on the Isle of Wight launched the National Trust’s 2009 season at Needles Old Battery.
The rocketeers took part in Britain’s abortive space programme in the 1950s and 60s at the Old Battery where they helped develop and test the super rockets.
The launch last Saturday and Sunday gave visitors a chance to see an award-winning film about the site and co-incided with National Science and Engineering Week.
As the story of Black Knight and Black Arrow becomes more widely known, interest in the Island’s role and the people who took part in Britain’s space race is becoming greater with each passing year.
The film about the site’s history recently won an audience poll at the Imperial War Museum. Made by Imperial College students, Joseph Myerscough and Matt Stacy, the film, called Once We Had A Rocket includes archive footage and modern day interviews with some of the rocket men

Thanks for that one. It is exactly the place I was on about. Apparently they were testing out German Rocket technology when they were open down there. There was not a lot left by the look of it Mole but good shots anyway.:)

Top marks for that one mate !! A really well thought out and brilliantly constructed thread !!
Youre THE MAN !!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Great report mate. I remember watching something on the tv about it years ago. The before and after photo's give a great insight into the place. Nice one...

Fantastic site fella.. of all the times i've visited the needles and IOW..i've missed this place.. thanks for sharing

Again, thanks for the comments guys, like I said, this Island has alot of history, its just a pity most of it has been demolished :(

But still, this is a great site to visit :mrgreen:

I couldn't help but notice the date on the newspaper............ 1st April 2007!!! Made me chuckle somewhat :lol:

Nice report though:)

Pip

Excellent report mate, loving those before and now shots.

According to wikipedia, that satellite went out of action in 1996, when the Satellite Tracking Centre in Lasham was decommissioned. Anyone know if that place still exists and is, ahem, derelict?

You can still track Prospero and other satellites here

Pip

Back