Rougham Hall, Feb 11, 2011.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been experimenting with HDR so for those that don't like HDR, I do know you don't like it ;-)

I thinck these pictures are very good HDR. They are not the very extreme sort. Great pictures. And Yes, we had a great day.

I've been experimenting with HDR so for those that don't like HDR, I do know you don't like it ;-)

I thinck these pictures are very good HDR. They are not the very extreme sort. Great pictures. And Yes, we had a great day.

I'd be interested to see how you got on with HDR.

It's a wonderful ruin but the text at the top is nonsense. The hall was bombed long before the airfield (mostly used by Flying Fortresses) was built. The reason for the bombing remains a mystery - there are reports that the plane took several passes as if it was confirming the target. The Rothschilds had a large house a couple of miles away but its surroundings are completely different and there's no record of the Germans picking on Jewish targets in the UK. A single bomb went through all the floors to the cellar before exploding, so it's amazing anything survives.

The lightly damaged courtyard buildings have very recently been refurbished and put back to use as upmarket housing. The owner said if it goes well he might rebuild the hall itself but in the meantime any close approach is strongly discouraged as it has some huge structural cracks.

Pre-Covid there were regular guided walks to view it.

In the nearby woods there are the earth banks of the airfield bomb store and a couple of fuse stores. Across the A14 a wood has 4 large air raid shelters.

Attachments

• DSCF4467.JPG
    DSCF4467.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 79

Latest posts

Back