Ryde Paddle Steamer - Isle of Wight - Nov 07

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The annoying thing is people call it the Ryde Queen but it was never the Ryde Queen IMO it should always be remembered as HMS Ryde for her service as a gunship and Minesweeper in the war.

Came across a pair of these the other day, at a car booty;

ticket1.jpg

Tickets from when it was a night club :mrgreen:

We went from Poole to Ryde on the Waverley about 25 years ago. She was a beauty then - I'm glad she has been looked after. So sad about the Ryde though. Your pictures are a haunting tribute.

im not sure if its the way the photos are taken but the second picture of the ryde as it is now looks like its had a large peice added onto the ship to make it longer at some point.

My first post!

Some pics of PS Ryde in 2008.
Dscf0227.png

Dscf0244.png

Dscf0248.png

Dscf0250.png

There is some talk of restoration of this ship, because the new owners of the site want it removed.
The first step is to raise enough cash to pay rental until it can be moved, then costing maybe £12million for restoration. However I seem to recall that when the P S Medway was taken from the adjoining mud berth about 20 years ago, the Ryde was considered too far gone even then.

the restoration project wa scrapped years ago. I was down there the other day actually visiting a mate on a boat and the funnels completely horizontal now not just on the piss a bit like it was shes well screwed

Rescue on the Rocks

The Isle of Wight County Press (iwcp,co.uk) has an article about the last ditch attempt to save the boat.I am a moron when it comes to computers can another member put the article on here .Thanks

I had a look at this when we were on the island in August. I took a load of pictures of her but I don't think I can add to whats already been posted. If you walk to the back (sorry stern) and look along her you can see a twist in her hull, which looks as if her back is broken. If she was moved she would break apart.

My father and his sister (she lives on the island) remember her when her last few pleasure voyages were made in the late 60's, and then as a resturant when she was moved up to the river. They say some wild 70's sex parties took place on board (and before any smart a** says, I was born before then!):).

That's heartbreaking. We went to Rhyde on the Waverley about 25 years ago. She was beautiful and still is! It's a shame about this lady.

just going to post about the cutting up myself wont bother now lol

It is pity this is going to disapperar forever, it could be saved, but would be costly, but the frames are still ok, and its those that give it the shape, and if measured and removed, set up and then replated, I recon it could be done, but I dont think anyone will cough up the reddies... :(

Latest posts

Back