Ryde Paddle Steamer - Isle of Wight - Nov 07

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryde Restoration

The Paddle Steamer Preservation Society is the largest preservation group for these ships in UK

It has collaborated in the restoration of PS Kingswear Castle (based on the Medway) and PS Waverley (based at Glasgow). The extensive restoration of PS Waverley in 2000-2003 cost approx £7m. PSPS experts looked at Ryde some years ago and estimated that restoration would cost £14m - £20m.

The following link has a picture of Waverley after restoration in 2003

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=1

Last edited:
Nice report, very interesting. On the lower floor pictures it looks as though the hull of the boat has deteriorated completely, is this the case or has mud just been washed in through the portholes?

Thanks for posting

Urban Mole where is this steamer at the isle of wight? next time i'm on holiday i might pop down and have a look myself oh and is it by a public footpath? (the sign next to it in a photo)

I go to the isle of wight every year in the summer with my missis!

and found this site looking for info about harcourt sands in ryde!

Great find, even if very sad. Calling them lifeboats and lifejackets may be pushing it a bit far now...

Seeing things like those funnels always makes me think. At some point they had to fall. But when? And what would have happened if you were on the boat at the time?

I either read or heard that the funnel was pushed over by members of the boat club to stop it from falling into the boatyard.

Found this on youtube, its a video of a the last working paddle steamers engine, just to show what it would look like when it was working;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBvPDGAE-2I[/ame]

Also, me and a mate have booked a trip on the Waverly paddle steamer, the only working one left.
More info here ---> http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk

Will get a load of pics if people wanna see :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Found this on youtube, its a video of a the last working paddle steamers engine, just to show what it would look like when it was working...

Cool! :mrgreen:

...Also, me and a mate have booked a trip on the Waverly paddle steamer, the only working one left.Will get a load of pics if people wanna see :mrgreen:

Even more cool! Yes, please. :mrgreen:

we are going on that next weekend so we can do our own video :)

Myself and Steve (urban Mole) are booked on the last sea going Paddle steamer (used to work the island passenger service) The Waverley. Gonna be cool

This brings back so many memories of dancing round my handbag back in the 70s. A regular haunt of mine.

What an absolute travesty for a once proud steamship. Surely someone could do something with it.

It does seem a bit far gone, there are holes rusted in the hull. It will never sail again, but it may be good for display if saved in time.

shes Knackered mate the only thing decent left is her heart made of bronze too just like the one in the video there beautiful bit of kit

Latest posts

Back