Sawtry Fuel Depot - Sept 19

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikinGlynn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
50894920753_5dd82e3d33_c.jpg

All of the major RAF and USAF airbases around the UK, together with key installations such as AWE Aldermaston and AWE Burghfield, are connected to large oil refineries around the coastline using a massive network of underground high pressure pipelines and Petroleum Storage Depots (PSD), referred to as the Government Pipelines and Storage System (GPSS).

50895753777_7a6d76e0a7_c.jpg

For safety reasons, the locations of these pipelines are marked with identification posts which look rather like bird feeding tables with brightly coloured roofs. The Depot supplying RAF stations and other military installations in the North Cambs & Peterborough area is located here at PSD Sawtry

50895639701_64e5987e2b_c.jpg

The depot was built on the site of former POW camp 59 The smaller of two fenced compounds is to the left of the entrance and contains a couple of old PoW Accommodation type huts that have been vandalised and or neglected along with a lot of cleared space, but these were the least interesting buildings so I neglected to photograph them.

50894925163_cc32e580e4_c.jpg

50895639061_242251d900_c.jpg

I did a couple of uninterrupted visits here late 19 but the place is fairly secure compared to earlier reports. The obvious entry points have gone & the site is dotted with armidillos.
Anyway on with the pics.

50895754162_d23d37c768_c.jpg

50894921158_b71146bc0d_c.jpg

As with prev reports all the main underground works are flooded

50894922903_63c7555918_c.jpg

50894922343_f06e28ae28_c.jpg

50895636336_3c4ef290dc_c.jpg

50895637086_ccb8d258f3_c.jpg

50895637516_63f3e0b718_c.jpg

50895637711_335933eff8_c.jpg

50895751512_b5efd8d721_c.jpg

50894922113_3c61b95540_c.jpg

50894920623_da3f6c9e23_c.jpg

50895638396_e14e23c395_c.jpg

50894921518_950e0658cb_c.jpg

50895752197_e7c539a7ca_c.jpg

50895635096_86653ac209_c.jpg

50894924548_5675f1dde1_c.jpg

50895637941_77709830f6_c.jpg

Thanks For Looking

Please can someone tell me what is meant by, "The obvious entry points have gone & the site is dotted with armidillos"? What are the "armidillos"? Or "armadillos"?

We done on that, never been to any of those places and I wondered what and Armadillo was after seeing one at a local gravel pit near where I live. Even took a photo of the little beast. Still don't know what it does though but I know what to look for.
IMG_3528.JPG

Yeah, you see 'em at all sorts of places (these days) .... In roadwork's 'secure' compounds, and tips run by Suez being the two common ones in my area. The small print label on one side often mentions that they're capable of ANPR ....

Yeah, you see 'em at all sorts of places (these days) .... In roadwork's 'secure' compounds, and tips run by Suez being the two common ones in my area. The small print label on one side often mentions that they're capable of ANPR ....
I'm getting old what is ANPR?

Thanks for that, I've seen them around here and wondered what they were capable of, just didn't know what to look up till now. 5mp cameras with 120 deg so you wouldn't think the range would be that great.
Does make you wonder but I found this about some of those overheads Showing the resolution which is what counts. If they had then when some of the old hospitals were being explored I think more people would have been chased off

Does make you wonder but I found this about some of those overheads Showing the resolution which is what counts. If they had then when some of the old hospitals were being explored I think more people would have been chased off
That first link you posted claims in the sales spiel they are 5Mp with 120 deg field of view which makes them very good close up. However, if all their cameras are like this we should be able to calculate the range quite easily. 5Mp is usually 2592x1944 pixels. If we assume a flat viewing plane then at any distance the horizontal line of view is 2592 pixels long. The relationship between the distance away and the length of the plane will be in the ratio 6:root3 for a 120 deg triangle. In other words the 2500 pixels are spread over a line about 3.5 x the distance away. So at 10m from the camera each pixel will be 35/2500 meters or 14mm wide. If my maths is right (please feel free to check it and tell me I'm wrong) I think we can safely say it would be hard pressed to identify a person using a pattern of half inch dots so 10m is probably maximum range unless they have other lenses not mentioned in the marketing. As an experiment I took a picture of me 12mm pixels.jpgand reduced to about 14mm pixels. That didn't display too well after all.

Last edited:
The problem with these things is that they usually alert a secca control room and or the rozzers..... So no matter the resolution if you trigger one you may well get nabbed.

Often they are able to speak to you directly once alerted and ask you to leave the premises, if you refuse the rozzers will probably come and rough you up the take you home to your parents

Last edited:
The problem with these things is that they usually alert a secca control room and or the rozzers..... So no matter the resolution if you trigger one you may well get nabbed.

Often they are able to speak to you directly once alerted and ask you to leave the premises, if you refuse the rozzers will probably come and rough you up the take you home to your parents
That would be seriously roughed up! my parents have been dead for years.

I was in a group of 3 who wandered down the beach from Shingle Street to Bawdsey a few years back, when coastal defence works were in progress. The site was lightly fenced but the gates were wide open so we wandered in to look at the 2WW gun emplacement. It was a Sunday so there was no work in progress and no resulting danger. Another family were also exploring. We could see CCTV cameras on poles but it came as a surprise when a speaker burst into life with a message saying we had been seen and the police had been sent. Presumably they thought we were about to make a fast getaway with a stolen tracked JCB (top speed 2mph).

We figured it was unlikely there was a police car within 30 minutes of this remote spot with poor road access, and they certainly couldn't drive on shingle, so we simply strolled back to Shingle Street along the beach. I can't say if the police threat was real.

I was in a group of 3 who wandered down the beach from Shingle Street to Bawdsey a few years back, when coastal defence works were in progress. The site was lightly fenced but the gates were wide open so we wandered in to look at the 2WW gun emplacement. It was a Sunday so there was no work in progress and no resulting danger. Another family were also exploring. We could see CCTV cameras on poles but it came as a surprise when a speaker burst into life with a message saying we had been seen and the police had been sent. Presumably they thought we were about to make a fast getaway with a stolen tracked JCB (top speed 2mph).

We figured it was unlikely there was a police car within 30 minutes of this remote spot with poor road access, and they certainly couldn't drive on shingle, so we simply strolled back to Shingle Street along the beach. I can't say if the police threat was real.

Prob a pre recorded message set off by a motion sensor that one

Please can someone tell me what is meant by, "The obvious entry points have gone & the site is dotted with armidillos"? What are the "armidillos"? Or "armadillos"?
if you search for other threads from here it loos like it was a complete walk in with gates pretty much open, this is certainly not the case now.
Yeah the "armidilis" are relatively new but becoming widespread. I coudlnt say how effective they are but Iv never been caught as a result of them.
as an experiment just before leaving we thought we would see how close we could get to these, turns out pretty close, we got within about 6ft before a message came out asking us to leave so they would appear pretty useless.
I have a pic of my mate cuddling one lol

if you search for other threads from here it loos like it was a complete walk in with gates pretty much open, this is certainly not the case now.
Yeah the "armidilis" are relatively new but becoming widespread. I coudlnt say how effective they are but Iv never been caught as a result of them.
as an experiment just before leaving we thought we would see how close we could get to these, turns out pretty close, we got within about 6ft before a message came out asking us to leave so they would appear pretty useless.
I have a pic of my mate cuddling one lol
I can see this being a new thread on here, who can get a selfie cuddling an Armidillo

Back