Scout Camp, Devil's Bridge, May '11

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Archivist

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This youth camp was built at Devil's Bridge, a popular tourist spot, probably between the 1920s and the 1950s. Accommodation was in a number of huts housing between two and eight children each with separate rooms for leaders and camp staff. A central hall, kitchen, toilets and showers were also provided: being unheated, the camp would only have been used in the summer months. There is very little information on this place either online or in the local archives but what little there is suggests that activities included hiking and beginner's Welsh classes and that the camp closed some time in the '80s or early '90s. There is no specific evidence that this was a scout camp, but all local sources refer to it as such and the layout seems to fit.

The place is now very overgrown and has suffered almost no vandalism, in part due to its isolated location. Most of the decay here is entirely natural and most of the windows still have their glass intact.

100_7510.jpg

Cabins nearest the drive

100_7509.jpg

More cabins and rhododendrons in bloom

100_7430.jpg

Main building

100_7437.jpg

The main hall has undergone a makeover courtesy of local kids with dubious poetry skills.

100_7436.jpg

Towards the kitchen - the floor in here was very rotten and sat over a 2' drop.

100_7450.jpg

Fuse boxes

100_7451.jpg

Office or staffroom

100_7459.jpg

Deeper into the woods

100_7466.jpg

The front of this cabin had collapsed exposing the interior.

100_7490.jpg

Another cabin

100_7470.jpg

The interior was immaculate, probably much the same as when in use (except for the Foster's crate, obviously).

100_7494.jpg

Open door

100_7476.jpg

From the central open space

Thanks for reading,
A

Great images here. Just like NC said, cant believe its so tidy condisering how long it been left there. Nice find.

School trip

I went to this place in the last year of primary school got a great photo of for of us outside our hut number four if I remember food was awful huts like Friday the 13 th toilets you had to walk down to the bottom of the site in the dark at night very spooky when you was on 11 years of age think it was 1984 the year I went

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Garratt. I can well imagine it being a tad creepy at night, being in the middle of nowhere and all. I gave the toilets a miss this time as they were full of mosquitoes.

Really nice find, well preserved as you say. I like the labeling on the electrical switches :)

I went to this place in the last year of primary school got a great photo of for of us outside our hut number four if I remember food was awful huts like Friday the 13 th toilets you had to walk down to the bottom of the site in the dark at night very spooky when you was on 11 years of age think it was 1984 the year I went

I, too, went on a school holiday here in about 1980. My hut was the first one as you came though the drive. The one to the right in the first photo. I am so pleased that these photos have been posted as i was trying to show my children where i went on my school holiday. The toilets were creepy but i can't remember the food being that bad, we had so much fun and these photos have brought back good memories.

I went here in school must have been about 1994/5 abaristwith is that the right spelling is nearby along with a railway....went here as a school holiday for i think 9 days possibly longer 2 weeks?? i remember having to sleep in them sheds with bunk beds which were cold and toilets were in that central bit along with showers and noone dared walk down there at night as it was dark so most just went round the back of the sheds(i remember sneaking up on the girls shed with a few friends and getting caught.there was some fit girls in our year at school...I am sure i got some pics somewhere.

I wondered if this is the same place thats not too far from St Athans Boys village..if so isnt there a pool as well?

Thanks for sharing your memories, people. It really brings the place to life for we that never knew it when it was open.

Klempner69 said:
I wondered if this is the same place thats not too far from St Athans Boys village..if so isnt there a pool as well?

Nowhere near, I'm afraid; this is in Ceredigion, Boys' Village is in Glamorgan. Is there another camp near BV then?

Old post now, I went and looked from the gate this week, even more overgrown than a few years back,
I stayed there in the late 70s and my sisters also stayed there in the late 80s, as others last year of primary school,
I sleep in the first gut on the right by the gate, great to see,

Old post now, I went and looked from the gate this week, even more overgrown than a few years back,
I stayed there in the late 70s and my sisters also stayed there in the late 80s, as others last year of primary school,
I sleep in the first gut on the right by the gate, great to see,
Blimey Im amazed its still standing!

Went there in late 60s incredible it is still standing !! Fantastic find thanks P
Hi contributers I am Doug and in 1961 was at this camp, then known as the Pencoed Youth Camp.
Our lower senior school Grove Road Secondary School in Gosport Hampshire organised a group of us to camp there for a week. Food was great and the second hut inside the gate on the right shown front on housed 4 of us and the first larger one 8. Day walks were long and a great challenge. Had one day in Aberystwyth, not my sort of place even though girlfriend and I (now wife) were there in 1981.
The Reidol Valley enroute is beautiful as is the Devils Bridge 3 bridges and falls. Few school kids had cameras back then but the mind pictures firmly remain.
We went to church down the valley for Sunday service and attended the new Taylor Woodrow damn construction complete with migrating Salmon lift. Oh yes a d we walked to the top of Cader Idris and Plinlimon (the source of severn rivers from memory)in the former descending on a scree run Yahoo! Happy Days doing stuff kids still need to do.

Hi contributers I am Doug and in 1961 was at this camp, then known as the Pencoed Youth Camp.
Our lower senior school Grove Road Secondary School in Gosport Hampshire organised a group of us to camp there for a week. Food was great and the second hut inside the gate on the right shown front on housed 4 of us and the first larger one 8. Day walks were long and a great challenge. Had one day in Aberystwyth, not my sort of place even though girlfriend and I (now wife) were there in 1981.
The Reidol Valley enroute is beautiful as is the Devils Bridge 3 bridges and falls. Few school kids had cameras back then but the mind pictures firmly remain.
We went to church down the valley for Sunday service and attended the new Taylor Woodrow damn construction complete with migrating Salmon lift. Oh yes a d we walked to the top of Cader Idris and Plinlimon (the source of severn rivers from memory)in the former descending on a scree run Yahoo! Happy Days doing stuff kids still need to do.

excellent stories, has this place now gone anyone?

Im from miles away but love the area, Iv been devils bridge & have rode (carried) mountain bike up Cader & walked it just a few years ago with teh girlfriend.

Latest posts

Back