Scoveston Fort, Pembrokeshire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godzilla73

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Plenty has been written about this absolutely huge derelict fort elsewhere on this site - but suffice to say, one cannot grasp what a massive white elephant it is until it goes there. I visited with Newage and Fluffy, (who at the time of writing, are still down in Wales looking at abandoned airfields) and I'm fairly sure that they will have a few better pictures than mine. As always though, it was a top explore.

It is massively overgrown, and really only two of the caponier tunnels and associated casemates, along with the barrack block are accessible. Despite this, the size of the fort meant that we spent about 3 hours inside, and will almost certainly be going back at some point to do the rest.

The entrance tunnel- looking back towards the original door (I know Newage has got some better shots of this)
IMG_1483.jpg

Outside/Inside the barrack block
IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

These next few are from the caponier furthest from the entrance, which is the easiest to access. This is at the top of the polygon (if you know your Palmerston forts)
IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

As always for me, its the details that make a visit. One of the highlights was the terracotta air bricks in the powder magazines. These had clearly been hand glazed and were in remarkably good nick, as were the ceiling and floor timbers, which had very little rot
IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

And these are from the caponier and powder magazines that are nearest the entrance -
IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

A really interesting place - Fluff and Newage will have more of this soon - or as soon as they get back above ground.
More pics at http://s336.photobucket.com/albums/n353/mechagodzilla73/Scoveston%20Fort/
Enjoy!!!:)
GDZ

WE'RE BACK !!:mrgreen:
Wow what a place this is !! An absolutely top notch explore,pissing down with rain,hackin' our way through 12 foot high stinging nettles,bramble bushes and GODS BARBED WIRE aka gorse (please do not use this description of the dreaded prickley stuff anywhere outside of this forum as it is now a registered trade mark of Newage,and he will prosecute !!)Not to mention avoiding bloody big holes in the ground and being unable to see anything except the jungle !!Even David Bellamy wouldn't wummidge awound in this undergwoth !!:p
Seriously though i cant recommend this place highly enough it truly is everything a good explore should be,we even got permission from the farmer first so it was totally relaxed-no chance of a double barrel in your face accompanied by the immortal words "oi !! get orf my laaand !!"The only problem,as Godzy said,is that even with a plan we only found two fifths of the place-it's that overgrown !! Still as the great man said we will be back and this time you're all invited !!!
PS; Oh ! Those hand glazed,Italian,terracotta air bricks.It's enough to make a grown man cry :cry::cry:

PPS; I suppose that the Police tape still hanging from the gates is from a few years back when that local doctor committed suicide here.?

Back