Scraesdon Fort

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underworld

Reaction score
Had a hunch about this site from a post I saw ages ago on a rival site. Like most Palmerston's forts, not a lot of information is on the internet.

From Wiki -

Scraesdon Fort is one of several of the forts in South East Cornwall which formed part of the ring of forts surrounding Plymouth to protect Plymouth Sound and, in particular, Plymouth docks from enemy naval attack. They were built as a result of a decision in Lord Palmerston's premiership to deter the French from attacking naval bases in the south of England.

Scraesdon Fort was designed in 1859 at a cost of £137,000. It is constructed in the Land Front, polygonal, near octagonal format. It has a dry ditch, and was designed to have 27 guns on the ramparts.

The upper level is 254ft above mean sea level (AMSL) and the lower level is 173 feet AMSL.

The fort was used by the MOD as a training barracks, but it is currently empty, derelict and overgrown. It is occasionally used by the Royal Marine Commandos recruits as part of their final exercise, as well as being used by local Territorial Army units. Between September and November the fort is used as a weekend training centre for army and ATC cadets from Cornwall and Devon.

A military railway connected the fort with the River Lynher at Wacker Quay, near St. Germans. It also provided a link to the main fort on the Rame peninsula at Fort Tregantle. The railway ran underneath the metal bridge and down a gradient, then went underneath the current A374 road, and alongside Wacker Quay. The locomotive shed is still extant on the quayside, and other remnants of the railway can also be seen here. There was also an extensive marshaling area next to the east wall in the lower picture. The railway was used from 1893 to 1903.

-----

Great site if you can get in, not like Crownhill Fort in design, but you can tell it's a Palmerston's fort just by being there.

Here's the pictures

Image01.jpg

Image02.jpg

Image03.jpg

Image04.jpg

Image05.jpg

Image06.jpg

Image07.jpg

Image08.jpg

Image09.jpg

Image10.jpg

Enjoy

Underworld

Loads, but no pictures as of yet (from me anyway) as you would need more light as they go right down and are deep

Underworld

Scraesdon used to be a favourite as a 13year old at midnight! Bloody scary sometimes!! Good pics mate

Loads, but no pictures as of yet (from me anyway) as you would need more light as they go right down and are deep

Underworld
There is a rumour that there are tunnels around a lot of the forts over there. Someone told me that Tregantle is linked to a few other sites in the are.

I know the moat at crownhill has a tunnel entrance. I've also heard that this went all the way to efford for back in the day. I can't see it being true though.

Anyone.....?

Couple from me :-

DSCF3625.jpg

DSCF3622.jpg

DSCF3617.jpg

DSCF3613.jpg

Good days work all!

Last edited:
the tunnels linking the plymouth forts isnt really true, i know of a tunnel linking two of them, thats about 300m long & ive yet to visit that.....

a lot of the forts were connected by a covered way, although most of it has been backfilled now.....

Last edited:
Cracking day and the fort was very cool.
still did not see i all.

my pics.
Image00007.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Image00010.jpg

Image00014.jpg

Image00016.jpg

Cracking report Underworld, and a very good find, was an extremely good day, and so many tunnels leading off all over the place, if there's one place that desperately needs stairlift it's here! still feeling the burn anyone or is it just me getting old??

A few of my pics...

IMGP3815.jpg

IMGP3806.jpg

IMGP3817.jpg

IMGP3809.jpg

IMGP3821.jpg

IMGP3828.jpg

IMGP3799.jpg

IMGP3883.jpg

IMGP3845.jpg

IMGP3849.jpg

IMGP3857.jpg
IMGP3864.jpg

IMGP3859.jpg

IMGP3876.jpg

IMGP3877.jpg

:)

Excellent site, chaps, and really enjoyed seeing the photos. Love the 'smiley-face' fireplace...lol...and the machinery (lifting gear?). Good stuff. :)

Latest posts

Back