Significant Upgrades.

Help Support Derelict Places:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Over the past few days I have been working on some significant improvements to the site and am finally ready to tell you all about them.

Firstly the site now has 'groups' which are opt in groups that you can chose to join. Each group has it's own forum which does not get indexed and is not viewable by guests, this means that they aren't as public as the main forums. You can find the groups and join them by clicking on the groups link from the navigation bar. Initially I have added some regional groups, in the future this may be expanded. As always if you have any suggestions for additional groups feel free to PM me. Please bear in mind that although these forums are not as public as the main one, the website rules still apply.

Secondly galleries are back. In the past I have used 3rd party software to host images and this has been problematic. These galleries are actually part of the forum software and will stay the same from here on in. I will have to monitor usage of the galleries as photos take up large volumes of disk space which I have to pay for, but initially you can add your own galleries and upload up to 200 pictures.

Finally there are three new styles to chose from in the style drop down menu on the bottom left hand corner of each page, and a range of new smilies. In addition to this site is now also optimised for mobile devices so if you browse the site on your PDA or mobile phone it should be a lot easier to read.

Any problems, let me know! :)

Ben.

Bunk3r

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
In addition to this site is now also optimised for mobile devices so if you browse the site on your PDA or mobile phone it should be a lot easier to read.
nice, it is good. if you choose the mobile style on the drop down is there an easy way to turn it back (as at present you loose the drop down and there doesnt seem to be an option in the CP)?

not sure if I like the click to download pictures in mobile mode, but generally my phone runs out of memory when browsing so it may prove to be the better option (providing people dont do a million pictures per post and explain what each picture is so we can just load the most relevant ones)

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
To be honest it's a downloaded style, I'm not going to spend hours making one myself, I have better things to do with my time.

You can also change the skin at the very bottom of the 'Profile options' page.

sqwasher

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
How about a Yorkshire group? I wouldn't say i'm in the north east or north west areas. A Yorkshire group would encompass many members on here i'm sure?

tarboat

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
How about a Yorkshire group? I wouldn't say i'm in the north east or north west areas. A Yorkshire group would encompass many members on here i'm sure?

Good old Yorkshire - independent to the end. ;)

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
bloons.gif

^^^^^ works fine for me.

B

BigLoada

Just a question about the uploading of photos. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I can be a bit thick at times:) Just wondering if it is still cool to use Photobucket instead of uploading to the forum itself? Its just I am used to photobucket and prefer to do things that way. Again,, apologies if I am asking something daft!

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Just a question about the uploading of photos. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I can be a bit thick at times:) Just wondering if it is still cool to use Photobucket instead of uploading to the forum itself? Its just I am used to photobucket and prefer to do things that way. Again,, apologies if I am asking something daft!

You can do whatever you like.

Uploading to the forum costs me money, I would PREFER you to use photobucket :) The option is there for people that want it.

Geordie_Jon

Reaction score
krela,

If you don't mind me asking, how much money are you looking at to run this site? I'm sure most of us think you do enough to run this site by putting up with our antics without being out of pocket on top. Some of us are working, some not, but I'm one who is and I get enough out of the site to put my hand in my pocket occasionally if needed. I hope others feel the same way. :)

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Not really to be honest, the regional groups are supposed to be pretty generic, join the ones you want.

Bunk3r

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
^thats fine, just a couple of others had asked so i was waiting to see if one appeared before joining up, figured I'd ask again before joining lol, NE group here i come!
p.s. thanks again for the mobile theme, i know i said it in the other thread but it seem appropriate to add it here where i first said about it!

Last edited:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
^thats fine, just a couple of others had asked so i was waiting to see if one appeared before joining up, figured I'd ask again before joining lol, NE group here i come!

You can join more than one mind, you can join them all if you want :)

Bunk3r

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
In addition to this site is now also optimised for mobile devices so if you browse the site on your PDA or mobile phone it should be a lot easier to read.
its gone? i found it quite good (a link to give the option to change back to the normal style would have finished it off (eg: http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/index.php?styleid=3, but overall it was good). no worries if youve decided to drop it, but thought i would mention it incase it disappeared by accident whilst making other changes.

keep up the good work, I understand implementing these upgrades and the general running of the site take time.