Skyring, Worthing, West Sussex

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyurbex

Reaction score
This is my first report so firstly my apologies if I have missed anything out and secondly thank you for reading!

History.
I don't know great deal about this house but I did find a photo of the house on Historicengland.org.uk dated to 1935. I do not have permission to use the photo so have not included it in this thread. The previous owner of Skyring lived there for 20 years having bought the property in 2001 for £350,000. They sold the property in April 2021 for £1.8million. This house was used as a business selling and installing satellite dishes and TV aerials. The property was purchased, along with another house next door by a construction company and plans have been submitted and accepted to demolish both buildings and build an 80 room care home on the land.

The explore.
The house sits on large grounds, there is an outdoor hot tub on a raised platform in the back garden and a swimming pool with adjacent underground pump room. The garage next to the main house have been converted into an annex with a large living and Kitchen downstairs and a large bedroom and bathroom upstairs. This was my third visit to the property, access being denied on my previous explores. the photos I've included are from all three visits. The house itself is over three floors, Downstairs is a large kitchen, dining room, large living room and study/man cave. A large main hallway and stairs lead up to the second floor to the main bedroom with large en-suite and further rooms. There is also a wall safe at the top of the stairs. The third floor is more bedrooms and bathrooms that also could of served as offices. There is a second set of stairs that goes to all three floors, the main stairs only go to the first floor. Access was easy, but I fear this old house isn't going to be around forever, the roof tiles have been removed and I think that it will soon be demolished. Another piece of history gone. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy the pics! (Taken on an iPhone 11)
outside1 2.JPEG
outside2.JPEG
outside3.JPEG
IMG_6408.jpeg
outside4.JPEG
outside6.JPEG
IMG_6348.jpeg
IMG_6385.jpeg
IMG_6395.jpeg
IMG_6383.jpeg
IMG_6353.jpeg
IMG_6368.jpeg
IMG_6371.jpeg
IMG_6345.jpeg
IMG_6373.jpeg
IMG_6360.jpeg

Nice house that, another one that could be used to house some people in need!
Which "people in need"? With what "needs? I'm sure the house could be converted into flats, and two or three blocks constructed to obliterate the gardens - as happened to my Devon childhood home. More lovely council tax money to fill the council's coffers. Of course, the proposed 80-room care home will not have the sligtest effect on the rain water run-off from the land; nor will it contribute in the least to 'man-made climate change'. Hell and hand-cart come to mind.

This is my first report so firstly my apologies if I have missed anything out and secondly thank you for reading!

History.
I don't know great deal about this house but I did find a photo of the house on Historicengland.org.uk dated to 1935. I do not have permission to use the photo so have not included it in this thread. The previous owner of Skyring lived there for 20 years having bought the property in 2001 for £350,000. They sold the property in April 2021 for £1.8million. This house was used as a business selling and installing satellite dishes and TV aerials. The property was purchased, along with another house next door by a construction company and plans have been submitted and accepted to demolish both buildings and build an 80 room care home on the land.

The explore.
The house sits on large grounds, there is an outdoor hot tub on a raised platform in the back garden and a swimming pool with adjacent underground pump room. The garage next to the main house have been converted into an annex with a large living and Kitchen downstairs and a large bedroom and bathroom upstairs. This was my third visit to the property, access being denied on my previous explores. the photos I've included are from all three visits. The house itself is over three floors, Downstairs is a large kitchen, dining room, large living room and study/man cave. A large main hallway and stairs lead up to the second floor to the main bedroom with large en-suite and further rooms. There is also a wall safe at the top of the stairs. The third floor is more bedrooms and bathrooms that also could of served as offices. There is a second set of stairs that goes to all three floors, the main stairs only go to the first floor. Access was easy, but I fear this old house isn't going to be around forever, the roof tiles have been removed and I think that it will soon be demolished. Another piece of history gone. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy the pics! (Taken on an iPhone 11)View attachment 517317View attachment 517318View attachment 517319View attachment 517320View attachment 517321View attachment 517322View attachment 517323View attachment 517324View attachment 517325View attachment 517326View attachment 517327View attachment 517328View attachment 517329View attachment 517330View attachment 517331View attachment 517332

This was my Grandparents property they sold it in around 2000. My grandfather was a surgeon and used to run a private medical practice from the house. I had my childhood birthdays in that swimming pool, which had an underground changing room that used to be a bomb shelter. Some of my best childhood memories were in grounds of that home and it’s so sad to see it in its current state. Happy to answer any questions about it.

This was my Grandparents property they sold it in around 2000. My grandfather was a surgeon and used to run a private medical practice from the house. I had my childhood birthdays in that swimming pool, which had an underground changing room that used to be a bomb shelter. Some of my best childhood memories were in grounds of that home and it’s so sad to see it in its current state. Happy to answer any questions about it.
Lovely to hear some personal history from a place.

This house used to belong to the de Bruyne family during the interwar years. I was just looking at some photos of it at my cousin’s house this morning, in an album assembled by my great uncle Gordon de Bruyne a century ago. Now I’ve googled it only to discover it’s just been knocked down. Unbelievable

Back