Spigots and Loopholes in Aberdeen

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seahorse

Grumpy auld mod.
Reaction score
I had to drop the missus off in Aberdeen and hang around to pick her up again. So I thought I'd have a hunt arount for a couple of spigit mortar mountings.

Well, I managed to find one, and only had time for a quick recce of Queens Road to try to locate the other. And failed. No matter, I'll manage again at some point, and whilst I'm at it, I'll go home via Dyce to try and find another.

Unusual (as far as I know, but feel free to correct me), in that these mounts are sans concrete bases. So what we see is a stainless steel pin atop the bircage type affair that would have been the internals of the base.

Here's the one by the river Dee, located to defend the Bridge of Dee in the event of an invading force somehow managing to get this far upriver...
4561810036_8dfd1444af.jpg

4561800800_f01a31984c.jpg

LINKY

Somewhat puzzled as to why there only seemed to have been this one form of defence there, but I suppose it was unlikely that much would have got past the considerable harbour defences, so it was probablya Belts and Braces approach.

There was one other seemingly insignificant attempt at defending the King George Bridge a bit further downstream: They decided to knock a few loopholes in a wall at Duthie Park...
4561840116_f84d07960f.jpg

LINKY

Thanks for these Seahorse. The naked pedestals are indeed unusual I think there is one other mentioned in the DoB. Seems they were probably knocking about unfinished and someone decided to use them anyway. The recoil of the Blacker Bombard was somewhat extreme hence the heavy padding on the headrest for the gunner. If these weren't anchored in concrete I doubt they'd have been much use.

These are very interesting. I bet I've passed thousands of those loopholes on my travels! I need to slow down and look harder....

The gun mount is great - it allows us (well, me anyway!) a unique insight into their construction. Some serious reinforcing went into them - carefully laid out to get maximum strength.
If I had seen that I would have assumed it was part of a childs ride.
I also see that a dog appears to have Christened it in pic 2....

These are very interesting. I bet I've passed thousands of those loopholes on my travels! I need to slow down and look harder....

I doubt it, they are surprisingly rare. There are 3 sets in Bristol which are some of the few in the country.

In my experience they tend to be set into walls that form the boundary of major estates which are used as regional Home Guard bases.

Just been doing a bit of research, and found the loopholed wall is record S0002961 in the DoB database.

The location is a bit out though. :)

I doubt it, they are surprisingly rare. There are 3 sets in Bristol which are some of the few in the country.

In my experience they tend to be set into walls that form the boundary of major estates which are used as regional Home Guard bases.

There are at least three within an hours drive of me. Seaton Sluice, Morpeth and Alnwick.

I agree about them being sited on the edge of major estates. I will endeavour to look for more. :)

The gun mount is great - it allows us (well, me anyway!) a unique insight into their construction. Some serious reinforcing went into them - carefully laid out to get maximum strength.
If I had seen that I would have assumed it was part of a childs ride.
I also see that a dog appears to have Christened it in pic 2....

Yup, dog poo aplenty along the river. Not all of the dog owners that were out last night appear to have heard of poo bags. :mad:

Speaking to a couple of them though, it seems that local folks are under the impression that it WAS a child's ride... a base for a roundabout, to be precise. I was glad to have been able to clear up their misconceptions. :D

Latest posts

Back