SPRINGSIDE PAPER MILL - BELMONT - AUGUST 2021 - PART#1

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The History
Springside Paper Mill, where paper was made continuously since 1834 - originally belonging to John Livesey who had previously run paper mills at Prestolee & Springfield. At this time rags & textiles were recycled to make paper; wood pulp was not used in papermaking until about 1910 meaning Livesey's enterprise did not prosper & was closed down in 1839.

The mill was purchased by William Spencer - The mill remained in the Spencer family until 1972, it was then owned by Courtaulds until 1984 - in February 1994 a blaze destroyed a warehouse which contained 200 tons of paper tissue & cotton. The factory closed in the mid-2000s after being owned by the Canadian Tissue company Kruger - Springside Paper Mill shut it doors after over 150 years in operation.

The Explore
My first ever explore came in a very similar factory aged 10 that was situated behind my house & had been made derelict at the time due to a fire - little did I know where it would lead years later or that it even had a name what I was doing. Therefore, I found this explore very enjoyable - it is such a massive site & I made all in all 3 visits roughly 3 hours long each time - it is so easy to miss the labrythn of buildings & certain doors are the only access to most areas due to the collapse of roofs. Access isn’t a massive issue with some good map scouting although the front gate should be avoided as it contains the only newly installed cameras - no on site human security but the abundance of owls & a horny looking deer had me wondering if this was the new ploy of the security sector…

Due to the mass of the site I will photo dump in 2 parts… hopefully not to be deemed as a Mill spammer..

The Photography...

tempImageAiXoKG.png
tempImageot7uIQ.png
tempImageLEKUGJ.png
tempImageW8MnBX.png
tempImageZYQfce.png
tempImage0zuQos.png
tempImageBYVS3G.png
tempImagefWc8mC.png
tempImagegNsquL.png
tempImage88qZ6f.png
tempImage5r3zxn.png
tempImageXxwcmk.png
tempImageScqPHK.png
tempImagesexHFc.png
tempImageCDuwx6.png
tempImagebMkKKM.png
tempImagehGWTfX.png
tempImagedx56MT.png
tempImageiqifsK.png
tempImageIkyxCr.png
tempImageQnN1dt.png
tempImageP35ehL.png
tempImagepfnSO3.png
tempImageBuQfSx.png
tempImage4hJtJx.png
tempImageW54XxX.png
tempImageIPmXmn.png
tempImageZUWKD2.png
tempImage773xyf.png
tempImageFEX6PJ.png

Thankyou for reading & enjoy the Decay :)

Latest posts

Back