St Andrews Mental Hospital. Thorpe St Andrew Norwich.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The place to me looked like it was built in an Italiante style. Much like Norwich City Railway Station. Same North Walsham builder, Cornish and Gaymer.

and i thought the first annexe was officially opened in 1814 but the foundation stone was laid earlier, i.e they cant open a building that isnt built. im probly wrong but i dont mind looking like a tit :D i use this website a fair bit and its got some good stuff on there http://www.countyasylums.com/mentalasylums/standrews01.htm with thanks to the owners of the site for their time and effort too :) helped me out untold amounts of time but im unsure as to how accurate the info is! oh and i hope u were wearing a mask too :p

Actually County Asylums is my site. As stated on the website, the Norfolk county asylum originally opened in 1814, being the third County Asylum constructed, after Nottingham and Bedford asylums. I'm not sure what you mean about opening before it was built? Obviously that isn't possible. The original building is the one on the south side of Yarmouth Road now converted to housing and was much extended before the construction of the annexe which is the building pictured. The annexe was originally built as a chronic block and comprised only of the central section and narrow wings either side, this section having been constructed in the 1860's and designed by Cornish and Gaymer. Further extensions to the annexe enabled conversion to become the male asylum, the older building becoming female only, the extensions being of an echelon arrangement. The wards were named A-G right up until closure in 1998. After this time the original buildings were sold and the annexe became St.Andrew's House which was utilised for health trust offices and for document storage.

I do aim to make information on my site as accurate as possible, but on occassions certain sources prove unreliable or more detailed information is discovered. Due to other commitments i've been unable to update the site for a number of years now although my intention is still to develop it further.

Pete

Some beautiful pictures taken you certainly explored the place well..the basement looks kinda spooky and very erey lol
Excellent pictures)

Jesus christ contribute something to the site or do one, how about going and checking it out for your self, every post you've put up has been asking for handouts, sorry but calling yourself Sexyjade isn't going to work on here, your probably a forty year old trucker called Dave.

is this place still about to go and visit next week.

I agree with Mexico on this one Jade. This is not the place to ask for help. If you cant be bothered to go and find out or do the Research you shouldnt be doing Urbex.:mad:

Jesus christ contribute something to the site or do one, how about going and checking it out for your self, every post you've put up has been asking for handouts, sorry but calling yourself Sexyjade isn't going to work on here, your probably a forty year old trucker called Dave.

Your so smooth Mex lol

Sexyjade: I don't know if you're the same person who's been contacting me about access to this place, but as with previous answers, this location isn't a place for raves and the like, nor is it a playground for bored teenagers. As others state on this thread, find things out for yourself, everyone of us here has done that in one or another, it's a part of the fun. Maybe when you have something to share, you might get something back, but not promising that.

Sorry to sound such an arse, but we have lost a number of good locations through reckless, thoughtless and selfish individuals who ruin the game for the rest of us.

Last edited:
real good photos, good to see theres something worth looking at in Norfolk.
I had a look roud about 2 years ago, the windows had not been boarded then, and there was this modern bit round the back, still used,and newly built.Is this still there.Lookd like a modern cage, for Norfolks most wanted NFNs, or in-breds,(Normal For Norfolk) as the nurses say.

Back