St Gerards orthopedic Hospital, Coleshill, Birmingham 2013

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stealthstar79

Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Now this is the main reason for my return to Coleshill, St Gerard's Hospital.
I never got to visit here on my last visit, and on seeing so many amazing reports of a fabulous building, not the structure, but the wonderful delights inside. I had to go back!
I have no external photo's as we were seen by a visitor to the working nursing home, and thought any minute our time would be up. So we got into the building as quickly as could, not wanting to miss the opportunity again!

St Gerard’s Orthopaedic Hospital (also used for the treatment of TB) was part of Father Hudson's Society buildings.
It provided services for locals and the neighbouring boys school, along with care for orphaned children of early to mid 1900's.
Whilst plans were being made for a National Health Service there was considerable anxiety about the future of St. Gerard’s hospital.
When the 1948 National Health act was passed the Regional Board agreed to pay hospital expenses and the hospital undertook to take patients according to their disability, not their religion.
The chain of society buildings started to close in the 1980's, due to changes in NHS funding and how orphaned children were dealt with as a whole.
St Gerard's closed in 1988.

Last edited:
Great photos - looks like you went mid-day judging by the lighting.

That poor wheelchair has seen better days :(

Latest posts

Back