St James Church, Bawsley, Norfolk, September 2016

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Passed this place so many times and seen it hanging there in the distance. Finally got to go round this photogenic ruin when I parked up in a lay-by on the A149 and walked across the farmer’s field. Just east of Kings Lynn, the hill-top remains of Bawsey Old Church are visible from miles around. Seen by many but visited by few. The silhouette is quite impressive from the King’s Lynn A149 By Pass, between the Queen Elizabeth and Knights Hill roundabouts. The village of Bawsey St James was still thriving up to the 16th century. Until, that is, the landowner decided to depopulate the village and give the whole area over to farmland. Fortunately the old church of St James was just left to decay. The surviving sections of the tower and nave date from the 11-12th centuries, whilst the remaining part of the chancel is 14th-15th century. It is built from local carstone and iron conglomerate and occasional flint and limestone dressings, constructed in the Romanesque style. It was dedicated to St.James and fell into ruin as far back as 1745.

It became a TV star in March 1999 when Channel 4’s Time Team excavated the surrounding area and found a 14th-century tile. On it was the lettering ‘THOMAS’ printed backwards. It is thought to refer to Thomas de Wigginhall, whose term of office as prior at Castle Acre ended in 1376. Also found on the hillside around the church, was a skeleton of which the skull had sustained a powerful blow from a swordsman. Bawsey Old Church was possibly the site of an earlier pre-Norman settlement that was raided by Viking Norsemen.

29860145962_689429f5b5_b.jpgimg7640 by HughieDW, on Flickr

29973977855_009485ecca_b.jpgimg7642 by HughieDW, on Flickr

29860081512_c26fda09f5_b.jpgimg7662 by HughieDW, on Flickr

29890743931_abb9d2e69b_b.jpgimg7645 by HughieDW, on Flickr

29680277280_5ccfe9dc56_b.jpgimg7648 by HughieDW, on Flickr

29346391924_1fe4a8a3c8_b.jpgimg7651 by HughieDW, on Flickr

29890649941_5f75f6a9c8_b.jpgimg7653 by HughieDW, on Flickr

29347156343_008cb6ff80_b.jpgimg7655 by HughieDW, on Flickr

29859916642_6fbda4a20e_b.jpgimg7657 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Are we allowed to post historical ruins like churches and castles? I got quite a few of Kidwelly and Pembroke and didn't know to post them. Cool shots by the way, this is the first I've seen of it and I love stuff like this.

Cheers folks.

Are we allowed to post historical ruins like churches and castles? I got quite a few of Kidwelly and Pembroke and didn't know to post them. Cool shots by the way, this is the first I've seen of it and I love stuff like this.

Good question. Like you I'm a massive castle fan. The guideline I tend to use is that if they are a tourist attraction and owned by say National Trust, English Heritage etc I'd say not. This place is in that grey area. Not a complete abandonment but not really a tourist site.

Very nice work there HughieD and I like how you managed to show the tree differnt rooflines. Whar a superb piece of history

Yes Thiugh I have not as such. Kidwelly s is a good one to post especally if you show a good shot of the holein the ground they used to throw prisoners.

thanks for pics, I lived that way for about 5 years and always wanted to see this up close but never got the chance,
great place, and stands out on top of the hill.

Latest posts

Back