St John’s Hospital, Bracebridge Heath. March 2019

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferox

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
We had a look at this spot in the latter half of 2016 with no luck unfortunately. This time round we thankfully got in. Been on the list for a while so was really happy to see it. Very stripped out in here by this visit but with enough left behind to make it interesting and photogenic. I liked the corridors, which are made even better by the cool honey comb effect on the ceilings. Probably the main feature in here I'd say. The main hall was nice also, as they tend to be in these places. Cool to see the cat is still there as well. Visited with Paul.

The hospital was designed by John Hamilton and James Medland in the Italianate style as the Lincolnshire County Lunatic Asylum and opened in 1852. It became Bracebridge Pauper Lunatic Asylum in 1898 and Bracebridge Mental Hospital in 1919. It served as an Emergency Hospital during the Second World War and, having been renamed Bracebridge Heath Hospital in 1939, joined the National Health Service in 1948. It went on to become St John's Hospital, Bracebridge Heath in 1961.
The hospital closed in December 1989 and the site has been sold to a property developer who has built 183 luxury homes and apartments there. The original hospital buildings are classified as Grade II listed buildings.

Thanks For Looking

St John’s Hospital | Flickr

We had a look at this spot in the latter half of 2016 with no luck unfortunately. This time round we thankfully got in. Been on the list for a while so was really happy to see it. Very stripped out in here by this visit but with enough left behind to make it interesting and photogenic. I liked the corridors, which are made even better by the cool honey comb effect on the ceilings. Probably the main feature in here I'd say. The main hall was nice also, as they tend to be in these places. Cool to see the cat is still there as well. Visited with Paul.

The hospital was designed by John Hamilton and James Medland in the Italianate style as the Lincolnshire County Lunatic Asylum and opened in 1852. It became Bracebridge Pauper Lunatic Asylum in 1898 and Bracebridge Mental Hospital in 1919. It served as an Emergency Hospital during the Second World War and, having been renamed Bracebridge Heath Hospital in 1939, joined the National Health Service in 1948. It went on to become St John's Hospital, Bracebridge Heath in 1961.
The hospital closed in December 1989 and the site has been sold to a property developer who has built 183 luxury homes and apartments there. The original hospital buildings are classified as Grade II listed buildings.

Amazing photographs! Awfully grim but they are good.

St John’s Hospital | Flickr

Latest posts

Back