St Johns Church - Sept 21

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just had a look online - and can only ask how much the 'architect' (I use the word very loosely) was paid to 'design' (again, I use the word very loosely) what looks like an imitation gas holder. At least gas holders had character.
exactly ! and I like gas holders. The re-design of the area north of Kings Cross station in London managed to keep, and re-purpose, two architecturally significant gas holders, turning them into flats. But they are well beyond the means of most people.

I too enjoy looking at – looking around – old churches. Despite my being a realist – an atheist – with not the slightest belief in any religion, or the existence of any god or goddess or other deity. Just as with so many old buildings, these religious ones (some hundreds of years old) have a calming influence on the mind (well, mine anyway). I put that down to the heavy materials (usually stone) they are made of, the many curves in their structure, and the apex-shaped roofs, often with a tapering spire (even square-topped towers are not that brutal); and that they have survived for so long. Compare them with the hard rectangular shapes of almost any large post-WWII building; if not rectangular then with harsh straight lines. Would anyone else who obtains pleasure from visiting old religious buildings care to declare his or her attitudes towards religion and gods, etc?
the only 'modern' church I've visited which was really stunning, was Notre Dame du Haut, at Ronchamp in Eastern France, designed by le Corbusier (I don't much like the rest of his stuff)
It's concrete, and not full of rectangles, and manages to look like a ship. The interior - though large - feels welcoming and calming. And, even, 'spiritual'.

I cannot understand the mentality of the twats that would want to destroy a place like that, much less the talentless fuckwits that would undoubtably spray paint everywhere.

As said, some serious woodwork in there, and true, the church IS absolutely loaded, so no excuse at all to not keep it maintained..

john..

I must have missed this one. The church is quite special and if it had been older I dare say it would have been taken under the care of the Church Conservation Trust of the Friends of Friendless Churches but from the look it is too far gone now to save. Shame really because no doubt the parishioners go to a more modern church which would not be worthy of featuring on here if it was derelict

I cannot understand the mentality of the twats that would want to destroy a place like that, much less the talentless fuckwits that would undoubtably spray paint everywhere.

As said, some serious woodwork in there, and true, the church IS absolutely loaded, so no excuse at all to not keep it maintained..

john..

I concur I can "almost" understand people nicking stuff for their own gain but why just wreck or burn anything? dont make sense to me.

I concur I can "almost" understand people nicking stuff for their own gain but why just wreck or burn anything? dont make sense to me.
It was poet John Betjeman who said people destroy things because they are jealous that they cannot produce anything as good themselves. As for arson, perhaps for the same reason. Or just bloodimindedness. As for taking abandoned items, our museums have a lot of 'abandoned' objects. Preserving them adds to our knowledge of our history.

Back