St John's Mental Asylum, Lincolnshire, Jan 2019

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. The ceiling looks as if there should have been something on it, like a sheet of plaster, its rather unusual.

No; there was nothing supposed to be attached to the patterned plaster work. These ceiling patterns were the first attempt at applying the Scientific Theory of the Transmission of Sound Waves to a Building - specifically long, echoing corridors. The hope was that the ridged ceiling would hinder or break up the sound patterns of the patient's screams and thus cut down on the 'noise'. Sadly a failure and only solved with the advent of the sound deadening fibre (acoustic) tile. The noise from these corridors would have been horrendous and very unsettling - a young woman from a monied family, who found herself unmarried and pregnant, quite often was shut away and hidden by her family in these places to save face and hide the shame. To me these places are always a reminder of horrendous pain and suffering and very little hope!

No; there was nothing supposed to be attached to the patterned plaster work. These ceiling patterns were the first attempt at applying the Scientific Theory of the Transmission of Sound Waves to a Building - specifically long, echoing corridors. The hope was that the ridged ceiling would hinder or break up the sound patterns of the patient's screams and thus cut down on the 'noise'. Sadly a failure and only solved with the advent of the sound deadening fibre (acoustic) tile. The noise from these corridors would have been horrendous and very unsettling - a young woman from a monied family, who found herself unmarried and pregnant, quite often was shut away and hidden by her family in these places to save face and hide the shame. To me these places are always a reminder of horrendous pain and suffering and very little hope!

on one had that's quite a nice bit of info on the other hand, rather unfortunate it ever had to happen.

this site is still undergoing further planning permission and was postponed until further notice early in 2018. All diggers, trucks and bricks in which they use to referb the whole complex are still there also.

I went the other week with two of my best friends as we are also keen urban explorers and we were upset to the max.

Not only were we worn out about having to try and find the one and only way in, but the first block we entered, was completely destroyed. Glass broken everywhere due to vandals and also up on to the first floor, the actual floor was sinking as felt as though if you were to use all your body weight to shimmy round the corners you were going to fall through.

The site is an absolute beautiful view, just a shame that a place like this is left to rot and turn in to a standing death trap rather than a free, abandoned museum...

this site is still undergoing further planning permission and was postponed until further notice early in 2018. All diggers, trucks and bricks in which they use to referb the whole complex are still there also.

I went the other week with two of my best friends as we are also keen urban explorers and we were upset to the max.

Not only were we worn out about having to try and find the one and only way in, but the first block we entered, was completely destroyed. Glass broken everywhere due to vandals and also up on to the first floor, the actual floor was sinking as felt as though if you were to use all your body weight to shimmy round the corners you were going to fall through.

The site is an absolute beautiful view, just a shame that a place like this is left to rot and turn in to a standing death trap rather than a free, abandoned museum...

That place was a death trap when we went around, you just have to walk where you think is safe, I often try to find support beams and keep to them. The place is trashed, just have to search for the good bits.

Amazing photos!

I intended to visit whilst attending Uni there but never found the time!

Nice to finally see some great quality photos of the place!

What's the difference between the two? I'm happy to change title of the report.

#latereply

It's a semantics thing that a friend hammered into me early on when I was engrossed in the Asylums.

The county asylums were originally named Lunatic Asylums, which literally translate as a a place of refuge/safety for people with unhealthy minds. I think this naming convention came from the 1818 County Asylums act, but i am not 100% certain of that. I think Insane Asylum is an American naming convention (my initial post was incorrect). Before the state provided county asylums after 1818, they were typically named as Madhouses or Retreats.

The definition of a mental hospital is a place where where treatment is provided to the mentally unwell. Calling something a mental asylum would mean that someone is seeking refuge from their mind!

The naming convention was defined in the Mental Treatment Act of 1930 and Asylum was replaced with Mental Hospital. This reflects the changes in treatment and structure of the County Asylum system from the original act of 1818. After 1930, outpatient treatment was offered at all Asylums / Mental Hospitals. The institutions changed form being one of a refuge to one of treatments.

Phew, that was a little complex. I'll have to steal that and add it to my websites information!

Last edited:
#latereply

It's a semantics thing that a friend hammered into me early on when I was engrossed in the Asylums.

The county asylums were originally named Lunatic Asylums, which literally translate as a a place of refuge/safety for people with unhealthy minds. I think this naming convention came from the 1818 County Asylums act, but i am not 100% certain of that. I think Insane Asylum is an American naming convention (my initial post was incorrect). Before the state provided county asylums after 1818, they were typically named as Madhouses or Retreats.

The definition of a mental hospital is a place where where treatment is provided to the mentally unwell. Calling something a mental asylum would mean that someone is seeking refuge from their mind!

The naming convention was defined in the Mental Treatment Act of 1930 and Asylum was replace with Mental Hospital. This reflects the changes in treatment and structure of the County Asylum system from the original act of 1818. After 1930, outpatient treatment was offered at all Asylums / Mental Hospitals. The institutions changed form being one of a refuge to one of treatments.

Phew, that was a little complex. I'll have to steal that and add it to my websites information!

Ah I see. Nice little bit of info as well. Thanks!

No worries KP, was interesting to me digging up the information I had again. It has made me realised a page on my website needs updating

I'm not sure why you were expecting it to be anything other than "destroyed"? It doesn't look any different than it did six years ago when I was last there!

Latest posts

Back