St. Lukes, Abercarn, South Wales.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethrhyss

Reaction score
A bit of history;

"Only the soaring S tower is seen from afar. Yet to approach it and enter its windowless hulk is a powerful architectural experience. It stands high on a shoulder above the road, from which a long flight of steps wanders up to the towering W front. This is an awesome sight, sheer walls of hammerdressed local sandstone almost devoid of ashlar dressings....

The building was reported in 1958 to be suffering from severe subsidence and structural defects, which the substitution of flat concrete roofs failed to cure. It was closed c. 1980"

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire"

I have been to this church about 3/4 times for fashion shoots and to generally check it out... First time I went there it was just me and a friend of ours, was pretty creepy as we could hear noises coming from downstairs when we were in the massive hall. Probably just us being paranoid.

I've only got one picture from here at the moment, but I'll be going back soon to check it out some more!

The main hall. Very impressive but the ceiling is falling down a LOT! Quite a bit of debris over the place, mainly cans:

chruchhh.jpg

Last edited:
Back