St,Marys Well or Medicine Well Montrose

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jock1966

Reaction score
ST, MARY’S WELL or THE MEDICINE WELL.
This well was dedicated to st,mary probably by the Dominican Priors who founded a Convent in Montrose in 1261.
The healing waters of the Medicine or St. Mary's Well were reputed to provide a cure for scurvy and were frequented especially by sea captains.
In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries it was considered by local doctors to be a healing well and was visited by the sick to be cured.
During the 1960s a drinking fountain was installed close to the original well witch had dried up, this also fell in to disrepair by the early 1970s
Only the plinth and pedestal still stand.
During the early seventy’s the well was almost forgotten about till a new primary school was built adjacent to the site in the mid 1970s witch it got a tidy up.
Only because it was close to the new school.
By the mid 1990s a new relief road for the town was built close by and the surrounding area got a make over.
Sadly the well has never really been restored, only tidied up and the grass kept tidy.

2825320847_64cc9db7aa.jpg

2826163352_750d848e6c.jpg

well
2825329791_c67f256ec5.jpg

drinking fountain
2825334555_78d82dec3d.jpg

fountain and well
2826177402_4c91f47cec.jpg

:cry:

Last edited:
Interesting piece of local history there. I like the way it's been left tucked under the wall like that...looks like a nice peaceful spot to chill out. Cheers :)

It's certainly the sort of place I can imagine "taking the waters".

Unlike Peterhead. What were they thinking back then? :p

Mind you, I see it still attracts a certain other sort of visitor. Although it looks like they bring their own "entertainment" with them. :mad:
winewell01.jpg

winewell02.jpg

winewell03.jpg

winewell04.jpg

Latest posts

Back