Stalactite tunnel in Derbyshire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roderick

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a with permission trip and it's extremely delicate so it's exact location must remain hidden.
There are two limestone quarries linked by a tunnel, now disused. Over the tunnel was a gypsum dump making the water which filters through it very rich in minerals so stalactites grow in a few years instead of the usual millennia
The effect is truly spectacular, There is supposed to be something even bigger somewhere near Harpur hill but I've not yet found that one.
Tun1.jpg
tun2.jpg
tun3.jpg
tun4.jpg
tun5.jpg
tun5.jpg
tun7.jpg

Attachments

• tun6.jpg
    tun6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 258
This was a with permission trip and it's extremely delicate so it's exact location must remain hidden.
There are two limestone quarries linked by a tunnel, now disused. Over the tunnel was a gypsum dump making the water which filters through it very rich in minerals so stalactites grow in a few years instead of the usual millennia
The effect is truly spectacular, There is supposed to be something even bigger somewhere near Harpur hill but I've not yet found that one.View attachment 504596View attachment 504597View attachment 504598View attachment 504599View attachment 504600View attachment 504600View attachment 504602

The effect is truly spectacular, There is supposed to be something even bigger somewhere near Harpur hill but I've not yet found that one.View attachment 504596View attachment 504597View attachment 504598View attachment 504599View attachment 504600View attachment 504600View attachment 504602
These are fantastic...

Wow,what beautiful photographs.They probably don't do the cavern justice.Must have been a spectacular sight.Derbyshire is one of the finest counties in the country.Love it.

Wow,what beautiful photographs.They probably don't do the cavern justice.Must have been a spectacular sight.Derbyshire is one of the finest counties in the country.Love it.
You are quite right, you don't really get an idea of the scale but the tunnel was made for quarry machines and lorries to drive through..

WOW! Fantastic photos. What a magical place. I can't wait to show my pal.

Wow, very beautiful.
I guess with a high level of Gypsum makes the water an irritant. There is also a possibity of hydrogen sulphide gas as gypsum breaks down. Keep safe..

Wow, very beautiful.
I guess with a high level of Gypsum makes the water an irritant. There is also a possibity of hydrogen sulphide gas as gypsum breaks down. Keep safe..
It's a fairly short tunnel, well ventilated so H2S not an issue, it didn't irritate my wellies lol. A good general warning for folks though. I always borrow a gas analyzer if I go in any doubtful soughs..

That looks really beautiful. You're right to keep the location secret. When I used to go caving in Derbyshire in the 60s and 70s there were a few interesting chambers similar to that but, sadly, they have mostly been destroyed by careless people or vandalism.

That looks really beautiful. You're right to keep the location secret. When I used to go caving in Derbyshire in the 60s and 70s there were a few interesting chambers similar to that but, sadly, they have mostly been destroyed by careless people or vandalism.
Yes and increasingly in the last couple of years mineral collectors (sellers on ebay) are even chipping big lumps out of cave decorations just to see if there is anything underneath they might be able to sell.

Latest posts

Back