Strange experiences

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teesskin

Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this one out as a random post but has anyone had any strange or spooky experience's while out exploring these old derelict locations, I know from my own wanders around properties the feeling of not being alone or being watched it always there, and while sometimes we do come across drug users and homeless or kids id like to hear accounts from members if you have had anything happen.

Over ten years ago I was doing a solo bus trip round some UK asylums. Arriving at Cherry Knowle I hopped a couple of spikey fences, dropped in through the roof, then had a pleasant wander about the place. As this was to be my bed that night, I felt safe inside knowing there was no other obvious way in. When darkness started to fall I lay where the altar once stood in the chapel and tried to get some sleep. Remembering that this had the reputation of being "the most haunted asylum in the UK", I started to shite it as my mind wandered - I had a nightmare and a very disturbed sleep.

In the middle of the night I was woken up by screaming and howling. I lay frozen wondering whether it was coming from inside or out. Then it started to scream "I'm going to kill you, I'm going to hunt you down!" In a flash I gathered all my gear and started to bail out. A minute later I heard the crackle of a radio "It's only the local kids coming home from the pub", as security wandered by outside. Quite a relief. One of the few places I'm glad there was security.

Attachments

• C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 184
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 195
  • C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 194
Been to so many places, even supposedly hunted ones such as climbing through Edinburgh Mary Kings Close at night and seen nothing supernatural. The only time I've felt a little unnerved was exploring a pre restored Balintore Castle. Climbing through the mouth of the vast collapsed bay window and over a very week beam looking down to the floor below to reach a narrow corridor that lead to the heart of the building. A continual bang was heard like a heartbeat and got louder and louder as I approached a door at the end with the floor narrowing in width and one side sloping open into the darkness of what's beneath. I reached the door and opened it, sneaking into the next room a sudden frozen gust blew me back, the door slamming shut behind, along with the last of the light followed by the sudden silence. Needless to say, I left fairly quickly. later that day, I looked over the grainy footage of my 1st video phone (2005) and saw what looked like a figure creeping out from a curtain in one of the rooms I passed by. I went back the next day, of course, had to finish exploring.

Attachments

• Balintore Angus 2006 (59).jpg
    Balintore Angus 2006 (59).jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 257
Over ten years ago I was doing a solo bus trip round some UK asylums. Arriving at Cherry Knowle I hopped a couple of spikey fences, dropped in through the roof, then had a pleasant wander about the place. As this was to be my bed that night, I felt safe inside knowing there was no other obvious way in. When darkness started to fall I lay where the altar once stood in the chapel and tried to get some sleep. Remembering that this had the reputation of being "the most haunted asylum in the UK", I started to shite it as my mind wandered - I had a nightmare and a very disturbed sleep.

In the middle of the night I was woken up by screaming and howling. I lay frozen wondering whether it was coming from inside or out. Then it started to scream "I'm going to kill you, I'm going to hunt you down!" In a flash I gathered all my gear and started to bail out. A minute later I heard the crackle of a radio "It's only the local kids coming home from the pub", as security wandered by outside. Quite a relief. One of the few places I'm glad there was security.

dont believe myself either but still dont think Id have the bottle to do that on my own!

The fact is that old buildings make noises & have unusual air flow etc.
Particularly at night (sound travels better at night you know as light molecules take up space restricting noise transfer) so I think a lot of it is down to that.
Dont get me wrong Iv been scared in plenty of places thinking wtf was that but more of the fear of some lunatic being in there with me (which did happen at a school recently) Its another reason I do it really for that adrenalin rush

(sound travels better at night you know as light molecules take up space restricting noise transfer) so I think a lot of it is down to that.

Absolute utter rubbish, no need to invent a new science!! During the daytime there is far more activity going on - thus the environment it filled with far more extraneous noise pollution. As darkness falls, the noise pollution is drastically reduced and thus one can hear a lot more of the fainter background sounds around one's self. This is very easy to prove in a very basic sound chamber. Most of my working life was spent in trying to find ways of controlling light and noise pollution in the environment!

I think some of these old lunatic asylums do have a certain atmosphere, perhaps it's the Victorian Gothic architecture, the long gloomy corridors, and the knowledge that many of the early patients were people who caused no harm but were either eccentric or simply a nuisance to their families, so were kept virtually a prisoner for their lifetime.
I've worked in some of these old 'bins' such as Claybury at Woodford Green, and Warley in Brentwood. The former was one of the earliest to be sold off for exclusive housing. It's very expensive, but it's not the kind of environment I'd like to live in. I do think there is something creepy about them, even now. I must admit I don't like the look of Cherry Knowle !

Never had that experience but I have heard of some of the guys who were working at the Fair mile Hospital conversion have them. One security guard heard kids screming and playing around but could not see any thing when he looked. I think it shook him up from what one of the others I spoke to said. One of the managers hear them as well. Think is they never had kids there. Some of the people who bought properties there or moved in to the SODC homes have had experiences and moved. One place I do know may have a ghost is in one of the old women's wards. A woman who had been out to see her family for the day (back in the early days) came back had her tea then went off and hung herself in the toilet. Most of those blocks are part of peoples houses now. The grounds must have a few as well as well. more than a couple of people hav ebeen found hanging in the trees. Never seem any myself but I dare say people do hear things and it can freak them out.

Absolute utter rubbish, no need to invent a new science!! During the daytime there is far more activity going on - thus the environment it filled with far more extraneous noise pollution. As darkness falls, the noise pollution is drastically reduced and thus one can hear a lot more of the fainter background sounds around one's self. This is very easy to prove in a very basic sound chamber. Most of my working life was spent in trying to find ways of controlling light and noise pollution in the environment!
Ah absolute rubbish its to do with air temperature!

http://hk-phy.org/iq/sound_night/sound_night_e.html

The fact is that old buildings make noises & have unusual air flow etc.
Particularly at night (sound travels better at night you know as light molecules take up space restricting noise transfer) so I think a lot of it is down to that.
Dont get me wrong Iv been scared in plenty of places thinking wtf was that but more of the fear of some lunatic being in there with me (which did happen at a school recently) Its another reason I do it really for that adrenalin rush
It's the living that you need to watch out for :)

I think a lot of people must go exploring on lsd, I agree with HughieD, if you're someone who's mind is expecting bumps in the night to be ghosts then yes you will find what you believe to be ghosts.

However for everyone else who understands that the lead has been nicked from the roof, holes are rotting their way in and airflow moves things, water drips on things, wood expands and contracts at different rates, there may be another hidden explorer taking a shit, letting out groans as well as smells and there is always a rational explanation.

It's my personal feeling that ghost hunting does not go hand in hand with what we do, it's pseudoscience bs, and let's face it "we found DEAD LADY in black banging EERIE doors at us in SPOOKY ASYLUM!!! 😱🤑" is a much better click bait video on Goontube than the reality which would be "explored an asylum on a windy day and acted like a bunch of pre teen kids"

I was in an old hotel when I suddenly heard a really loud bang! I knew that I was alone in there, when it happened I was in a pitch black kitchen. I still have no idea what it was.

I think a lot of people must go exploring on lsd, I agree with HughieD, if you're someone who's mind is expecting bumps in the night to be ghosts then yes you will find what you believe to be ghosts.

However for everyone else who understands that the lead has been nicked from the roof, holes are rotting their way in and airflow moves things, water drips on things, wood expands and contracts at different rates, there may be another hidden explorer taking a shit, letting out groans as well as smells and there is always a rational explanation.

It's my personal feeling that ghost hunting does not go hand in hand with what we do, it's pseudoscience bs, and let's face it "we found DEAD LADY in black banging EERIE doors at us in SPOOKY ASYLUM!!! 😱🤑" is a much better click bait video on Goontube than the reality which would be "explored an asylum on a windy day and acted like a bunch of pre teen kids"
Very well put

I'm just gonna say it.......ghosts do not exist in real life, period. They exist I'm films and folklore and in people's minds but that does not make them a thing.

Trolls exist in folklore but they ain't real either.

No such thing

There ....I said it.

👻👻👻

I don't want to believe in ghosts - I find it quite hard to reconcile with my Christianity - but nonetheless, I have seen one; and so has my wife.
We had a cottage in Ellesmere in Shropshire, built around 1620. It had two attics up a rickety oak stairway, and the rear one of these was our computer room.
On a couple of evenings, I had sensed I was being looked at, and upon turning round, nobody was there. This happened on about three nights.
On probably the fourth night, when I turned round, I caught a slightly hazy view of a woman sat in a wooden chair sewing. She wore a blue garment with like a white bib and a puritan style white bonnet.
Needless to say, it took me rather by surprise, but within a couple of seconds it faded and I put the experience down to screen fatigue or just seeing things.
The next night, I saw the same, but the image stayed longer.
That night when I went to bed, having said nothing of my 'vision' to my wife, I asked her if she'd noticed anything odd in the attic.
I was especially careful not to drop the slightest hint of what I had seen as I wanted independent verification if she'd seen something too.
She was cagey in her response, but I pressed her without giving clues. Eventually she said 'do you mean the woman in the corner?'
To that I asked what she was wearing, and my wife gave me a description identical to what I had seen.
That is enough for me to collaborate the evidence of what I had seen.
There was a second 'presence' in the house which neither of us saw. When we moved in, we used to feed the cats in the cellar. The cellar opened at ground level to the back yard. Quite often the cats would go down to eat using the cat flap in the cellar door in the front room. Then they would both come hairing up at top speed with their fur on end and disappear into a bedroom and hide! My wife went down after a couple of weeks of this. She said out loud... "look.. we don't mind you being here. You've been here much longer than us, but can you please stop scaring the cats!" There was never any trouble after that.
A neighbour from some doors away who had a house similar to ours (they were supposed to be the surviving east and west wings of a manor house) was invited round to compare our building to hers. We let her look around, and she came back downstairs for wine with a big smile on her face. Do you know you have a maid still living in your attic room? She asked.
I don't think anyone can be convinced of this stuff unless they've seen it first hand, but there is my account.

Latest posts

Back