Strange experiences

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For many, the truth is either not enough - or too much. As Scotty said about the engines on the Starship Enterprise: "They canna take it!".
Or they just don't believe something that makes no sense whatsoever and there is not one shred of evidence to say otherwise 🤷

Being as we've droned on about this for weeks now and everything has been said that needs saying I'm gonna lock this thread and we can get on with doing Derelict places stuff.

There are plenty of paranormal sites out there and that is the platform for this topic .

Ok

I've had a msg or two saying that this thread is enjoyed by regular members and as such I've unlocked the rascal, who said democracy is dead eh?

Please make sure all parties conduct themselves in a gentlemanly manner ....even the lady gentleman of the site (lady gentleman sounded better in my head than it does in the real world) but you get the gist

All hail the resurrection

If I go into a witness box in a court room, and describe what I saw with my own eyes, or heard with my own ears, is that anecdote or evidence? How it that different from what people
So in that case all "sightings" of the monster in Loch Ness are evidence? Or is it somebody seeing something they don't understand or misinterpret and attaching and explanation to it?

Anecdotal evidence does not evidence make 🤷

Last edited:
I've seen some odd things over the years but I still don't believe in the supernatural. I'm sure others would have taken my experiences as proof, but to me it's just another mind trick, visual or auditory stimulation my brain perceives as something strange.

But maybe I just don't want to believe.

If I go into a witness box in a court room, and describe what I saw with my own eyes, or heard with my own ears, is that anecdote or evidence? How it that different from what people are posting here?

Anecdote
NOUN

1. a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person:
    "he told anecdotes about his job"
    synonyms:
    story · tale · narrative · sketch · urban myth · urban legend · reminiscence
    • an account regarded as unreliable or hearsay:
      "his wife's death has long been the subject of rumour and anecdote"
    • the depiction of a minor narrative incident in a painting:
      "the use of inversions of hierarchy, anecdote, and paradox by Magritte, Dali, and others"

Evidence
NOUN
  1. the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid:
    "the study finds little evidence of overt discrimination"
    synonyms:
    proof · confirmation · verification · substantiation · corroboration · affirmation·
    [More]
VERB
  1. be or show evidence of:
    "the quality of the bracelet, as evidenced by the workmanship, is exceptional"
    synonyms:
    indicate · show · reveal · be evidence of · display · exhibit · manifest · denote·
    [More]

Truth is I cannot believe that people say they have seen in buildings. My poor old dad when he was alive used to tell me about seeing a "Will O The Wisp" in Ireland when he was walking back home. It would make the hair on your head stand seeing it . It does exist but is nothing more than Bog Gas floating around. He dropped dead in kitchen in my first house but I have never heard of any one saying there is a ghost or presence there. I spent many an hour walking around the derelict wards at Fair Mile where a lot of people committed suicide but I have never felt any presence there what so ever. Two doors down from our house one gut who lived there hung himself in the stairwell, I've known the people who lived there over the years and been it the place myself but no one had told me if there is a ghost or presence there.
It's all a load of tosh IMO people get jumpy when walking in an empty building on their own and if they hear or see something they let their imagination take over. In trough they really need to have a talk to themselves and grow up, they are not kids any more.

Truth is I cannot believe that people say they have seen in buildings. My poor old dad when he was alive used to tell me about seeing a "Will O The Wisp" in Ireland when he was walking back home. It would make the hair on your head stand seeing it . It does exist but is nothing more than Bog Gas floating around. He dropped dead in kitchen in my first house but I have never heard of any one saying there is a ghost or presence there. I spent many an hour walking around the derelict wards at Fair Mile where a lot of people committed suicide but I have never felt any presence there what so ever. Two doors down from our house one gut who lived there hung himself in the stairwell, I've known the people who lived there over the years and been it the place myself but no one had told me if there is a ghost or presence there.
It's all a load of tosh IMO people get jumpy when walking in an empty building on their own and if they hear or see something they let their imagination take over. In trough they really need to have a talk to themselves and grow up, they are not kids any more.
All I can do is to repeat what a current occupant of my main 1950s childhood home asked me out of the blue: "Did we see the ghost when we lived there?"

SO did you see it??
As I have said previously, no. Nor did I hear of anyone who did. But the wife of a couple living in the flat above the stables did commit suicide by putting her head in the gas oven in the flat's kitchen during the time when we lived in the main house, and rented out the flat. Where I used to walk with my maternal grandfather there was one tree's trunk touching that of another. When a wind was blowing, the trunks moved against each other, making sounds that led to us calling it, "the oogly oogly tree". We both knew there was 'nothing there', just a bit of fantasy. But that young woman did kill herself, and over half a century later I was asked about the ghost.

Been thinking about all this mumbo jumbo.....sorry ghost stuff.

I have a question for all the believers in this.

I have been in a certain derp in Liverpool, in the dark (cus that's when ghosts appear) for several hours in a small group but nothing "spooky" happened.
In fact I know one chap who's been in the place dozens of times and never seen a ghost.....bear in mind this is "one of the most haunted places in the uk"

But

When people go on ghost hunts here (ya know....on a PAID ghost hunt)
They see and hear somethings "spooky"

My question is this

Is this pure chance or is the fact people pay money and the organiser's want to keep a reputation going directly related to the " SPOOKY" goings on?

Also why no ectoplasm? We've all seen ghostbusters .....why no ectoplasm?

Damn that was two questions 😳
In my experience paid Ghost hunts are a waste of time and often actors are used to make you fear what you can't see, but if anything like tv programs to go by then they are just for entertainment, its the same said by Christians who say they don't believe in ghosts but they go to church every Sunday to pray to the holy ghost, I guess you will just remain an un-believer in the paranormal or strange and unknown until you have an experience of your own you can't explain.

In order to answer your question - the Film Ghostbusters is that just a film, as for spooky goings on I guess one day you might just find out.

Last edited:
I have had many strange experiences in my life but no matter what I will never attribute owt to ghosts!

Just a film.....you telling me Mr staypuft is make believe? ...give over

Last edited:
Someone dropped a fridge from an upper floor in Rochdale - on purpose. Not spooky but bloody scary when you can't find your way out and you have a lunatic in the building.

This is a strange experience which didn’t effect me personally on an explore as a child in the 1960s – but did effect my mother who was me.

Before I even knew what industrial archaeology let along urbex was I had developed an interest in old mine sites due to family holidays in Cornwall and Devon. My mother and father would indulge my interests and often stop off at old mines for me to have a look around.

One day circa 1967 they took me down to Botallack Mine, my father decided to stay in the car and read the paper whilst my mother came with me. After looking at Botallack – I asked to walk over to this other engine house I could see some distance away along the cliff path.

A minute or two after arriving there my mother suddenly called out to me to come away and hurried me up the track back to the car. I was obviously a bit upset for being hauled away before I had had a proper look around. Once back in the car my mother apologised and told me she felt there was something really bad about the place and just had to get away, my father was a bit puzzled too as she had come back to the car so flustered.

My interest in old mines continued to develop and a few years later in my early teens I bought yet another mining book and found out about the Wheal Owles disaster.

This occurred on January 10, 1893 when miners were working in the undersea level of Wheal Owles 400 feet below adit level.

They accidentally holed into the flooded old workings of Wheal Drea Mine due to errors on existing plans at a depth of some 900 feet (148 fathoms) below the surface. The head pressure on this volume of water must have been enormous and the sea thundered into Wheal Owles trapping over 30 men. Some were rescued but 19 miners and one mine boy were lost and were never recovered.

I had never forgotten the incident several years earlier and showed the book to my mother which she found very interesting. She was never able to account for her urge to flee other than feeling really bad about the place. Over the years we often talked about what happened that day.

Eventually in 1993 a memorial was erected close to the engine house to the miners whose bodies still remain under ground. Around this time the building was also conserved and consolidated. To viewers of the recent drama series of Poldark it will be very familiar and the number of visitors it now receives has increased many times!

Over the years I have revisited the site quite often as it is very photogenic, my now late mother, sitting in the car several hundred yards away in the car park. However, I can’t say I have ever felt anything strange about the place, but my mother did – enough to make her absolutely terrified and she was a very level-headed person. The Wheal Owles engine house can be seen in this fairly recent phot of mine: L2015_5105_03 - Cargodna Pumping Engine House - Wheal Owles by John Luxton, on Flickr

Having visited countless other derelict abandoned places over the years I have never felt anything strange, though from what I have read I think some people are more susceptible to experiences than others. I certainly would not dismiss other people’s experiences as what I saw in my mother just plainly wasn’t rational but her reaction to me was just too real and one of those childhood memories one doesn’t easily forget.

John

Back