Strange experiences

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I visited Oaklands Children's home yesterday - I didn't read the history until after I had been. Having explored mostly solo & some creepy places ive never really been ever spooked at all.... bar a few pigeons! I explored 3 floors & a basement - all floors were fine apart from one.. the main floor. Its hard to explain but I felt very very uncomfortable & uneasy. I went up & down the floors a few times - everytime I left that floor the feeling went but each time I came back I felt very unnerved inside & there was a really uneasy feeling inside about that floor - it just felt like something bad had happened there.

I have since seen the only video I have seen taken inside the old home & the guy filming it actually said the same thing in the area I was... maybe just coincidence but without doubt something didn't feel right...

Been thinking about all this mumbo jumbo.....sorry ghost stuff.

I have a question for all the believers in this.

I have been in a certain derp in Liverpool, in the dark (cus that's when ghosts appear) for several hours in a small group but nothing "spooky" happened.
In fact I know one chap who's been in the place dozens of times and never seen a ghost.....bear in mind this is "one of the most haunted places in the uk"

But

When people go on ghost hunts here (ya know....on a PAID ghost hunt)
They see and hear somethings "spooky"

My question is this

Is this pure chance or is the fact people pay money and the organiser's want to keep a reputation going directly related to the " SPOOKY" goings on?

Also why no ectoplasm? We've all seen ghostbusters .....why no ectoplasm?

Damn that was two questions 😳
I actually think this is a fantastic question. Myself, I guess u could say I fit under the term paranormal investigations. BUT if I'm honest, these "hauntings" an things people see are very exaggerated. Now I'm not saying that I can either confirm or debunk the other side. When I go out exploring I love the history, I love being somewhere that was once so full of life an in the hustle and bustle of life. Like an old hospital, or a warehouse. Etc.
I can say this, as of yet I have not got any evidence that will convince EVERYONE of the afterlife an ghosts. Etc or whatever your belief is. Now I will say I've "experienced" things that don't have a scientific or rational explanations.
1st 1 I'll say is I was a nurse at a hospital in Liverpool. I was on a night shift in a skin ward so wasn't all that busy, especially of a night.
So the nurses room was part of a side room of 3 rooms. These was kept for people with MRSA, or the more serious of extensive skin conditions.
There was 3 side wards so for 1 person per room. The corner room and 1st side room was used as the staff room where we had our breaks an lunch etc.
So 3 staff on duty of a night, if it was quiet we took a 2 hour break where we could go catch some sleep or chill etc.
On this particular shift, it was my turn for break. So I went in, an used the recliner chair so it went into a sleeping position as such. Then had my portable DVD play. I think it was around 2003 perhaps. So was in the room, chilling watching "Everybody loves Raymond" on my DVD player.
There was no lights on only the dim or red lights to make it not completely dark so if a patient got up to go the toilet they was a le too.
Now this room had no curtains or blinds it was just a window. Then there was lights from the car park below this was on 1st floor. The moon was out an it was so bright. When I noticed a shadow on the ceiling. It was very faint at 1st, an I spent 10plus minutes trying 2 work out what was making the shadow.
Man I couldn't at all work it out. It was like a cloud. An it moved as if it was something outside moving in the wind. An the next bit is exactly how it happened.
It got thicker an darker. So looked more like a puff of smoke. It then moved slowly to the opposite end of the room I was in, it reached the door, moved down the wall till it reached the top of the door and then it went out the gap at the top of the door.
I am more likely to say there's a reasonable or a scientific explanation for 90% of haunting or supposed ghosts etc.
Now I don't say this was a ghost or something, but I haven't got an actual explanation for what happened. It didn't go cold, it didn't jump am say boo, no ectoplasm unfortunately neither lol.

I've had some other "odd" things happen. Like an old house I bought when I had my 1st born. We needed a place fast as it was our 1st time living together an a baby on the way.
So our 1st Christmas in the house, my little 1 was in bed asleep. My wife was wrapping presents upstairs in our bedroom. I was downstairs cleaning, an I heard my wife come down the stairs, so I quickly hid behind the door so I could jump out a scare her. After a minute or so. I opened the door expecting her to be on to me about to jump out on her an nobody was there. So I went upstairs to see why she come down. An she said to me 1st, oh I heard u come up the stairs a min a go, I was talking to u but u didn't answer me. An asked I I was OK. So my reply was, I heard YOU come down the stairs an was going to jump out on you. She said she hadn't moved from the bed.

There are a few odd things too in that house, but this post will be even longer. So I'll make this last bit quick, lol
A few years later our little 1 was 3 or so. So my wife and I was sat downstairs watching a film. We put him to bed at like 7.30-8pm. So it was around 9pm-ish an we heard him running around upstairs. He was in our bed as he fell asleep watching some cartoons. So I paused the film, an quietly went upstairs to catch him out playing with his toys as he was supposed to be asleep. So I got upstairs went into our room an he was out cold. He definitely didn't wake up and was running around. This happened at random occasions u that house. No specific time of day or night.

I have a few of these experiences in that house. Happy to tell you more if your interested like.

As I said, I have no SOLID evidence of stuff that is as clear to u as this reply is.
There possibly was so.e explanation to all I mentioned.
I will say that I Don't attend any group ghost hunts an pay stupid amounts of cash to go on 1.
Personally, I'd rather be with 3 or so other people in an abandoned place, an if we heard or seen anything we can account for where everyone is. So it's not someone banging or messing about.

I've been in some very old buildings like hospitals an similar places where many have died over the years. An not felt a thing. No equipment went off an was chilled an this is at stupid o'clock.
I've been to places that are not abandoned, are not that old, an had a feeling of someone watching etc, just the feeling u get as a person where u know someone is there etc.
I don't believe u have to wait till 3am an all that. The people who organise these group events are making EASY money.

Happy to answer any questions or something you have.
But the majority of the time, I like old abandoned buildings that have so much history to them. An seeing things that PEOPLE had and used, like finding crisp packets from 20 years ago. Drinking bottles from the 50s. An 1 of my favourite things was in Liverpool, its the bunkers underneath Littlewoods Pools on edge lane. In the maze of bunkers, there are charcoal portraits on the wall that was drawn by the people there when WW2 was on.
If you haven't seen them b4, I can upload some pictures of them on here.

Hope this help some how with your VERY VALID question.
Cheers.

When I was a teenager (about 15/16) the village we lived in had a closed down swimming baths, I don't know how old the building was but I'd guess early 1900s at the latest when it was built. This small group of 3 or 4 of us used to go here ourselves when younger, but at that point it had been shut down for at least 5 years I think. I'm sure it's this place that got me interested in exploring old and abandoned places!

We would enter the building through a window that had no glass in it to explore all the places we couldn't get to when we were kids visiting the place, it was really interesting to me to see all the old fixtures and architecture. We'd often end up hanging out in the main pool area for a couple of hours as well afterwards with a little fire going in a metal drum that was there for light.

Now in this main pool room, there was an old (but fancy looking) balcony that I believe was not used even when it was open, I don't know why but you never saw anyone up there, and at this point you couldn't get to it as there was a locked door that I assumed led up to it.

This one particular night there was just the two of us, we were sat on the old benches at the side of the pool like usual and I just had this nagging feeling like we were being watched, and I looked around the room and saw nothing unusual then up at that balcony. I saw what I could only describe as a tall slender man, dressed in a tailcoat and a sort of top hat, going from standing to leaning right over the balcony as if to look down into the pool. I couldn't see him in detail, it was more like a silhouette of a man. I genuinely don't see how it could have been any sort of shadow or reflection of anything. I absolutely crapped myself, and shouted at the lad who was with me about what I could see, and he looked up there and told us we needed to get out! I don't think we went back in there after that.

I've never had an explanation for what that was, and unfortunately back then we didn't have camera phones so I never got any pictures of the place. I live nowhere near there now so I'm not sure what became of that old swimming baths, but if it was still abandoned I'd love to go back in there even after that.

I've explored a few other buildings in the years since (I'm in my 30s now) but I've never had any other weird experiences. I'll never forget that though and I can still see it in my head now crystal clear!
This is epic mate. I believe you. It's these experiences from rational people, people who don't push there beliefs on you. An I agree, that sometimes the mind plays tricks on you. Light and sound bend in ways that look and sound like something else. BUT it's when an experience like yours that adds to that as of yet is UNEXPLAINED. It could have been a homeless guy up there. It could have been someone messing with you. It could have been a ghost or spirit etc.
We don't know.
I've had similar experiences an I have done a reply in this section that I shared of some of my experiences that I don't have an explanation for. They could have been a haunting, or they could have been something that was explainable.

Thanks for sharing the story man

My wife was a Spiritualist. She told me that she had ‘seen’ people who were dead. As I do, she had welcome or unwelcome feelings when entering a building for the first time. When we were house hunting in 1980, she refused to come with me into one place for which we had the keys. It was a dark evening, and, on going in I found all the walls painted red or black; the interior doors had been replaced by saloon-style swing doors, and the owner had built a bunk bed out of rough timber. We did not take it.

The large, built 1880, country house I lived in as a boy in the 1950s – and my parents ran as a guest house – was converted into flats around the 1990s. When I visited the place some 20 years ago, the occupant of one of the flats asked me if we “saw the ghost” when we lived there. My answer was no, but a young woman who lived with her husband in what had been the groom’s quarters above the separate stable block had killed herself by putting her head in the gas oven. The occupant had seen a female figure on the path that led around one side of the main house.

While the human body is a physical thing, it runs on chemicals and electricity – especially the brain. Since electricity is generally invisible but its effects can be seen and felt, is it possible that ghosts are some form of after-death electricity recreating the shape and colours of the human body? To include non-human objects such as clothing is another matter.
This is a great story. I agree with your thoughts on electricity an that "ghosts" if that's what they are are just like electricity.
I'm NOT saying that this is 100% accurate at all.
But I've often wondered about this theory you put forward.
As the body as u said is chemical an electrical, as this part is fact, energy doesn't die, it transfers. So what if, the soul of a human is that that is the electrical version etc.

Not saying its fact, it's just a possible explanation or theory.
I enjoyed reading you story

I actually think this is a fantastic question. Myself, I guess u could say I fit under the term paranormal investigations. BUT if I'm honest, these "hauntings" an things people see are very exaggerated. Now I'm not saying that I can either confirm or debunk the other side. When I go out exploring I love the history, I love being somewhere that was once so full of life an in the hustle and bustle of life. Like an old hospital, or a warehouse. Etc.
Paranormal, a load of old tosh, anyone who believes in that is kidding themselves

I'm a paranormal investigator and can you explain to me why the word "paranormal" as you described as being "a load of old tosh"? I've seen pictures and videos posted on this forum that have examples of the paranormal.

I'm a paranormal investigator and can you explain to me why the word "paranormal" as you described as being "a load of old tosh"? I've seen pictures and videos posted on this forum that have examples of the paranormal.
Please post the links to these paranormal pictures and videos then we can all decide.

I don't expect a reply on this, because paranormal is 'a load of old tosh' and just used to cash in on YT likes.

Last edited:
Please post the links to these paranormal pictures and videos then we can all decide.

I don't expect a reply on this, because paranormal is 'a load of old tosh' and just used to cash in on YT likes.
What he said. I don't need to explain why it is a load of Tosh you need to prove it is real Pictures and Videos can be fixed to look like that are real and I really do not believe any of it.

What he said. I don't need to explain why it is a load of Tosh you need to prove it is real Pictures and Videos can be fixed to look like that are real and I really do not believe any of it.

Reports of the 'paranormal' occur throughout most of human history: "Ghosts appear in the records of history going back nearly five thousand years to ancient Mesopotamia" - Exploring History website. That the reports exist is fact. Why do they exist is there if no truth in any of them? The human brain can generate images and 'memories' that do not exist in reality (false memories, for example) but that does not mean that all paranormal events are false - imagined. Because we do not understand why or how something happens does not mean it does not happen; just think of "thunder is the gods getting angry".

Unfortunately it is more easy than ever to produce fake photographs, and fake sounds. That does not mean that all photographs and sounds are fakes.

The air is full of electromagnetic energy - much more so since the invention of how to produce electricty. Since the brain is an electro-chemical 'machine', it can be affected by electrical currents (ECT, nMRI scans, etc) and by what it 'sees' and 'hears'. For example, it is only thanks to persistence of vision that we can make sense of films, videos and TV pictures.

Paranormal images are either a known unknown or totally imagined. Which?

Paranormal, a load of old tosh, anyone who believes in that is kidding themselves
I think a lot of stuff out there is definitely either FAKED or EXAGGERATED.
I think the key to it all is to keep an open mind. As technology advances things that was once mysterious, is just part of every day life now.
Like the sun rising.
Like recording a live event. Years back that wouldn't have been imagined that you could record something to rematch it. Off subject a little.
I think there is evidence out there, but in todays digital world, its easy to fake or manipulate.
It's a personal belief, just like do you believe in a higher power? Either way it doesn't matter what I think, or what you think, if the person who believes in God an goes to church then that's their entitlement.
It's like there are a lot of explorers that are seasoned and have explored abandoned buildings before 'Urbex" was a thing. Alot of seasoned explorers don't like using video's an only posting pictures. Yet the newer breed of explorers use video's. An then upload them to YouTube so other like minded people watch them, and in turn make revenue from it.
I think the most important thing is to enjoy what ever it is you do, and not waste time on arguing with people who do or don't agree with you.
Or turn things toxic for not agreeing.

I've enjoyed reading the majority of the feeds on this subject. It's always interesting to listen to other people's views, opinions and to create a discussion rather than a debate.
Be safe guys

I think there are alot of fake real evidence out there today.
I also know alot of it is used to generate views and likes and create income from the likes.
I definitely think it's an individual choice to believe or disagree, or remain on the fence.
I definitely think though, there are things that I am unable to explain. I've had experiences that I though was a person coming down the stairs, yet nobody was there.
I posted the experience on a comment on this thread. An I don't say its a ghost. I would say that it's "unexplained" as there was only 3 people in my house at the time. My wife who was upstairs wrapping presents, our little 1 was asleep in our room, then I was downstairs. I hid behind the door as I wanted to jump out to scare her.
So after a minute I opened the door an nobody was there. I went upstairs to see my wife, she said to me oh u was waiting for u to come in the room, I was talking to you but u didn't reply. I said I heard u come down the stairs as I was going to scare you.
So with things like this, and other things I've mentioned on this thread like when I was a nurse in the hospital.
I can't say what it was, it was simply strange and unexplained.
Be safe.

. Since the brain is an electro-chemical 'machine', it can be affected by electrical currents (ECT, nMRI scans, etc) and by what it 'sees' and 'hears'.
I have first had experience of that, I sat under a High Field Magnet helping to plot the field for about two hours, I came out feeling sick and had a headache from it, no wonder they warn people who have MRI scans and they are relatively low field magnets in comparison.

I have first had experience of that, I sat under a High Field Magnet helping to plot the field for about two hours, I came out feeling sick and had a headache from it, no wonder they warn people who have MRI scans and they are relatively low field magnets in comparison

When I was aged about 8 or 9 I was a weekly boarder at a school in Paignton, Devon, with my home at Staverton, near Totnes. The street lights in the Paignton area were the yellow sodium type; those near Totnes were white (or close to white). Travelling in the family Austin Ten, I would cover my eyes from the yellow lights because they made me feel sick, almost to the point of vomiting. Once we were under the white lights, I would come out from under the car rug. This happened as a matter of course. For some reason - either the colour itself, or the frequency of the light - my brain was affected by the sodium lights. A few years later I was on holiday in Bournemouth, where the street lights were a bluish white - which I found very restful. I had no ill effects from the one nMRI scan I have had; and that was a brain scan.

When I was aged about 8 or 9 I was a weekly boarder at a school in Paignton, Devon, with my home at Staverton, near Totnes. The street lights in the Paignton area were the yellow sodium type; those near Totnes were white (or close to white). Travelling in the family Austin Ten, I would cover my eyes from the yellow lights because they made me feel sick, almost to the point of vomiting. Once we were under the white lights, I would come out from under the car rug. This happened as a matter of course. For some reason - either the colour itself, or the frequency of the light - my brain was affected by the sodium lights. A few years later I was on holiday in Bournemouth, where the street lights were a bluish white - which I found very restful. I had no ill effects from the one nMRI scan I have had; and that was a brain scan.
We scanners are usually around 3T/mhz max and you spend around 15 in one, I was sat under was 20T/mhz . I don't think may people do have side effects from the MRI , but they are not something I would want to go in though my son has been in them quite a lot. Can't say I ever had a problem with sodium lights but they do look quite sickly to look at

If you want to see something so much, sometimes you think you have seen it.

That's all.
That probably sums up this thread.

If you want to believe, it won't take much to convince you it's true.

If you don't believe, it's going to take something pretty irrefutable for you to change your mind.

I have first had experience of that, I sat under a High Field Magnet helping to plot the field for about two hours, I came out feeling sick and had a headache from it, no wonder they warn people who have MRI scans and they are relatively low field magnets in comparison.
In a previous incarnation in my days in electronics I used to visit Philips in Eindhoven where they developed MRI scanners, mostly working below 5T but the area needed to be screened because the field was enough to bend the radars in use at Eindhoven airport (or at least that's what they told me and I've no reason to doubt it). The interesting thing is about 1 in 10 of the people working there in other parts of the building could tell you when the magnets were activated but couldn't tell you how they knew.

That probably sums up this thread.

If you want to believe, it won't take much to convince you it's true.

If you don't believe, it's going to take something pretty irrefutable for you to change your mind.
There is a real danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater here (and he might come back and haunt you lol) All throughout history people have experienced things which looked like magic until the science emerged to explain it - why did a load-stone floating on cork in water align it's self N-S, then magnetism was discovered, amber rubbed on a cats fur magically causes small pieces of fluff to jump up and stick to it until we discover static electricity, who would have thought a robin would be able to sense North using a quantum pairing effect in it's eye?

A couple of weeks ago there was no water in Chapel en le Frith, after emptying the pipes which go over the hill from Dove holes they got an air lock when they tried to refill them and they had lost the plans of where the pipes ran and where the air release valve was. As I cycled over the hill I saw several Severn Trent employees walking over the fields holding dowsing rods, when I stopped to ask a water guy by one of the parked vans what was happening he explained that while they had electronic pipe detectors in their vans, they got much better results and less false returns from the rods so the guys preferred to use them. I've seen too many examples of dowsing working to ever dismiss it mumbo-jumbo. My money is on some, as yet undiscovered, field effect which if not affected by electromagnetic/electrostatics we would be unable to detect with any of our present instruments or perhaps a quantum effect not yet understood being responsible for things like this?

Another unexplained and interesting effect (which I would be surprised if even Night crawler hasn't experienced) is demonstrated when a girl with a shapely bottom walks up the road ahead and you find your-self looking perhaps a little too hard at it and she immediately pulls her jumper down to cover it up even though she couldn't possibly know you are looking.

I'm not saying there is no room for skepticism and one in a million human events happen quite often when you have 60 million people in a country but it does no harm to have a little bit of your mind left open just in case.

Plenty of scientific proof that dowsing is absolute nonsense, enough to disregard it completely.

Wiki below, but google for a wealth of other info regarding it.
Dowsing is a type of pseudoscientific divination employed in attempts to locate ground water, buried metals or ores, gemstones, oil, gravesites,[1] malign 'earth vibrations'[2] and many other objects and materials without the use of a scientific apparatus. It is also known as divining (especially in reference to the interpretation of results),[3] doodlebugging[4] (particularly in the United States, in searching for petroleum[5]) or (when searching for water) water finding, water witching (in the United States) or water dowsing.

A Y-shaped twig or rod, or two L-shaped ones—individually called a dowsing rod, divining rod (Latin: virgula divina or baculus divinatorius), "vining rod", or witching rod—are sometimes used during dowsing, although some dowsers use other equipment or no equipment at all.

Dowsing is a pseudoscience and the scientific evidence is that it is no more effective than random chance.[6][7] Dowsers often achieve good results because random chance has a high probability of finding water in favourable terrain.[8] The motion of dowsing rods is now generally attributed to the ideomotor phenomenon,[9][10][11] a psychological response where a subject makes motions unconsciously. Put simply, dowsing rods respond to the user's accidental or involuntary movements.

In a previous incarnation in my days in electronics I used to visit Philips in Eindhoven where they developed MRI scanners, mostly working below 5T but the area needed to be screened because the field was enough to bend the radars in use at Eindhoven airport (or at least that's what they told me and I've no reason to doubt it). The interesting thing is about 1 in 10 of the people working there in other parts of the building could tell you when the magnets were activated but couldn't tell you how they knew.
I have been there installing some equipment but they may have been developing an MRI a lot of companies did but most were copying us. The first one was sent to Nottingham University and they did have part of one in the science museum London. they had to build screening into the magnets because of the stray field.
Have a read of this British Engineering Stamps.

Attachments

• IMG_2133.JPG
    IMG_2133.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2136 (2).JPG
    IMG_2136 (2).JPG
    625.5 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back