Strange marker. Near Seaton Delaval Hall, Northumberland.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabtr

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
My first thread on here so please be patient!
Does anyone know what the following pics are of? It looks to me like a boundary marker of some sorts. It is within about 1 mile of Seaton Delaval hall and there are no other objects like it in the surrounding area. I have stood my son next to it to give an impression of size.

eastboundarymarker2005004.png

eastboundarymarker2005002.png

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• eastboundarymarker2005004.png
    eastboundarymarker2005004.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 64
  • eastboundarymarker2005002.png
    eastboundarymarker2005002.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 62
Don't quote me on this, Sausage, bit I think it might be a boundary marker. I've been trying to find out on Google wether it definitely is or not but haven't seen anything like it yet. Will keep on trying. :)

Could well be a parish boundary marker.

Although there's no set form for parish boundary markers so it's difficult to tell!

Exactly what I thought myself but as far as I know (I was born very near there) there was never anything like it. I grew up quite literally in the fields - my dad was a poacher! - and I know the surrounding land like the back of my hand. The hall itself has several obeliscs around or near it but they are directly south, west etc and this does not fit into that category.
Boundary markers that I have seen on the net are mostly squared and with a rough appearance. This one quite clearly has the letter B on it too.
Here is a flash link to it's location:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=55.088154&lon=-1.504481&z=18.5&r=0&src=ggl

Thats the kind of mystery I love mate! Just been looking at my old repro maps and there is nothing as far back as 1856.

Could be that its before that but boundary stones are usually marked on old maps. Could be a visit to the archive library is needed, as there are other things in that area I too want to check out.

I don't know if it's any help but when I googled I typed in: seaton delavel boundary marker. It came up with 2 pages of websites, some of which were about boundary markers around the hall. Unfortunately most of the info was in pdf format which I don't get on with and there were pages and pages of reports on some of them, so I'll leave it to yourself to have a decko. :mrgreen:

I have to admit that I did ask the landowner if I could have it (after all there is no record of it!) and he said no! :(

There's a dozen of similar stones in a woodland near a former Textile Mill outside of Mansfield in Nottinghamshire, though the tops are more rounded.

There's a forest next to a complex of former textile mills in Pleasley Vale, there dotted all over the place in those woods. Just don't go at weekends as its restricted due to war games.

Very interesting !!

I knew about the obelisks and the mausoleum but I hadn't spotted any of those little stones, great find !!

boundary or mile marker as mentioned I'd guess. The hall was completed in 1728 so presumably it would be shown on maps around that time if any...

There's a forest next to a complex of former textile mills in Pleasley Vale, there dotted all over the place in those woods. Just don't go at weekends as its restricted due to war games.

I know the place, next time I visit I will keep my eyes open. Thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back