Surrey GHQ Line, March 2012, Part 1 (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've re-typed these as field gun emplacements in the overlay, maybe next time somebody is at the NA they can dig out what weapons Aldershot Command had that may have fitted these. I don't trust the Google earth measuring tool but it puts the door at 6ft wide.

Funnily enough Capn I've got the door at 6ft wide too based on the 9 x 8 inches wide timber shuttering on the head of the doorway and the tyres.

Must admit, when I saw the first internal pic, my reaction was also 'that box is huge', but 30 odd years of working with tape measure, scale rule and drawing board begged to differ. And I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to try and work out the dimensions of something from just a photo :)

Ok the type in the photo is a two pounder version. There were two types built. I'll send the relevant info to the party's concerned.

So it looks like Ironsides is suggesting that the second artillery box in Winch's pics is for a 13 or 18-pounder which seems right. Both are WW1 guns but you can see the sense of it given the armaments situation at the time. The 13-pounder particularly looks a good fit for the larger of the two gun emplacements.

Good call on the bigger gun idea Capn and hats off to NC for the back up info. Must get a copy of the book. :)

Yup just got the info from NC. I'll re-type these as Anti tank Gun Emplacements as that seems to have been their role.

Latest posts

Back