The Abandoned Houses of South Drive, Harwell, Oxfordshire | Feb 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopAbandoned

Reaction score
SOUTH DRIVE'S ABANDONED HOUSES, HARWELL, OXFORDSHIRE | FEBRUARY 2022

History

There is nowhere in the county quite like South Drive: a 1936 colonial-style Air Ministry development of mellow red brick, garden bays and sash windows,retaining its original road-layout and situated on chalk downland in an area of outstanding natural beauty. South Drive houses are among the oldest surviving parts of this former airbase.

No.8 South Drive, Sir John Cockroft's former residence, should be considered historically important in relation to the development of the site. The bomber station’s first CO decreed that the station should take the name of whichever parish his house was situated in: thus it was that RAF Harwell is what the UKAEA inherited in 1946, rather than RAF Chilton.

A bit extra from The Herald Series, Oxfordshire newspaper

Hundreds of people live in the 72 houses of North Drive, Harwell, originally built as housing for the nearby former RAF Harwell airbase.

Shortly before Christmas, residents learned the land by their houses had been lined up for 400 new homes in The Vale of White Horse District Council’s revised Core Strategy, which determines where new estates will be built by 2026.
Consultation on the plans ends on Friday, January 29.

The site, owned by the UK Atomic Energy Authority, includes the contaminated former sewage works north of the Harwell Innovation and Science Campus, boarded-up houses built for RAF officers on South Drive, and fields either side of Icknield Way.
Susannah Croucher, 27, who chairs the North Drive Residents’ Committee, said: “For many people, this open space is one the reasons they moved here.
“There are at least 30 kids who use it as their playground, and a lot of people up here have dogs and use those fields every day.

“If they take it away, a lot of us will not want to live here any more.”
She added: “I know there is a massive need for houses, and I am not objecting just because it is two metres from my house, but this is open countryside which is very well used.”
The district council’s analysis of potential housing sites concluded the nearby science campus had many of the facilities usually found in large villages, as well as the capacity to create up to 6,500 new jobs.
Last night, the council refused to comment on the plans for Harwell, although it will be presenting its proposals in the Freeman Hall, Harwell, on Thursday from 3.30pm to 7.30pm.
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus spokesman Jo Reid said: “While the campus is predominantly a strategic employment site, combining it with residential development will enhance its vibrancy and make it a more sustainable place for people to work and live.”

The Explore

We park up on the lived in residential areas of Harwell, where we get a curious resident asking what we were up to carrying cameras, she didn't have an issue with what we were doing but told us we wouldn't get in to any of the properties on South Drive, we pass a sign saying Private Land, this land is owned by the UK Atomic Energy Authority, but when has that stopped us in the past lol, an Official Secrets Act sign wouldn't stop me. So, we carried on through the footpaths to the incredible huge houses, we get in to the first, after scrambling through brambles and bushes, we were quite surprised to find so much still left behind in the first property and were shocked to walk through it, with the sheer size of the building, which looks smaller from the outside. We then get in to a couple more properties, slightly smaller but still with a lot still inside them, incredible place, would recommend to other explorers. Oh, and it turns out the larger property we entered was home to Sir John Cockroft, who was a British physicist known for splitting the atomic nucleus.

Check out our YouTube video on the site.

DJI_0717.JPG

The Houses on South Drive.

DJI_0718.JPG

The Harwell Science Campus, home to the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory.

DJI_0721_Moment1.jpg

The Civil Nuclear Constabulary, based at Harwell, who didn't catch us lol

DJI_0725.JPG

SD1.jpg

SD2.jpg

DSC02146.JPG

DSC02147.JPG

DSC02149.JPG

DSC02150.JPG

DSC02153.JPG

DSC02154.JPG

DSC02155.JPG

A bit of racism on the wall, tut tut

DSC02156.JPG

DSC02157.JPG

DSC02158.JPG

DSC02159.JPG

DSC02160.JPG

DSC02161.JPG

DSC02164.JPG

DSC02165.JPG

DSC02166.JPG

That Civil Nuclear Constabulary you scoff at carry guns and you were lucky not to to be caught, I used to work next door. If they ask for your details I am afraid that Admin have to pass them on. Impressed you got inside the building though people are free to walk around South Drive. It's a lot more overgrown than when I saw it last.
BTW the reason those houses are not used is because the Harwell Campus want to build a complex there but one person who still lives along the road will not move out because he cannot get alternative accommodation that suits them. I just feel they are load of houses wasteing away to nothing

Last edited:
That Civil Nuclear Constabulary you scoff at carry guns and you were lucky not to to be caught, I used to work next door. If they ask for your details I am afraid that Admin have to pass them on. Impressed you got inside the building though people are free to walk around South Drive. It's a lot more overgrown than when I saw it last.
BTW the reason those houses are not used is because the Harwell Campus want to build a complex there but one person who still lives along the road will not move out because he cannot get alternative accommodation that suits them. I just feel they are load of houses wasteing away to nothing
A "load of houses wasting away to nothing" perhaps. Also an ideal 'brown field site' able to have the properties modernised and used rather than concreting and tarmaccing over more unbuilt-on land. As for the local council waffling on about "combining it [Harwell Science and Innovation Campus] with residential development will enhance its vibrancy and make it a more sustainable place for people to work and live,” at what frequency does it now vibrate? And just what needs sustaining - if not the amount of agricultural and open land in this country?

There has been no planning applications placed on the website since 2018 thuogh clearly a lot of building has been going on site since I left

Perhaps what has been happening has required only compliance with Building Regulations, and not planning permission.
I just checked they do put in planning, Diamond where I worked are having a new building built on the side, The plans must get priority because they never seem to take long before they are up.

A "load of houses wasting away to nothing" perhaps. Also an ideal 'brown field site' able to have the properties modernised and used rather than concreting and tarmaccing over more unbuilt-on land. As for the local council waffling on about "combining it [Harwell Science and Innovation Campus] with residential development will enhance its vibrancy and make it a more sustainable place for people to work and live,” at what frequency does it now vibrate? And just what needs sustaining - if not the amount of agricultural and open land in this country?
I used to live in 7 South Drive. It was a beautiful house and it's very sad to see them wasted like this.

Back