The Barn of Virginia Water

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked Explore

Reaction score
The Barn of Virginia Water

Nestled quietly alone in a large field flanked by the nearby mansions of Virgina Water is this group of small farm and stable buildings.

Explored Solo in March 2021.

14L  From the road with some Munkjack near the The Barn of Virginia Water (12).jpg

The Find.
This was a random find that I came across after exploring another location. I quickly stopped to check it out before it got to dark.

The History. History of the site is hard to come by. The buildings only go back about 80 years although the site itself has been used privately by the landowner for horses as far back as I could go.

The Explore. Was a bit of a walk from the nearest parking spot, at least it was a lovely day out to explore. Once you reach the area there is a short fence to climb over and a short trek across what was once a track up to the buildings. What you find there is a collection of buildings, a main building that contains a few stables and office, a large caravan, some single storage buildings that have seen better days with missing walls and roofs that litter the area.

1L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg4L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg

A walk between the caravan and stables takes you to the office that contains, filing cabinets, rubbish and a safe.

5L Light reading in The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg6L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg

The caravan was locked, a peak in the windows shows its full of items.

7L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg8L Peeking in the Caravan at The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg

The stables are mostly empty, one did contain a random large fridge, don’t think there would be any Mango Solero’s in there so not worth looing at.

9 Inside the stables in The Barn of Virginia Water .jpg10 The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg

Walking past this takes you into the line of sight of Neighbours working and banging away in their garden so continuing past here was a onetime deal before having to return quickly back.

Wasn’t much to see past here anyway, a few large wooden sheds and old farm equipment was nestled in the thick bushes.

12L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg

Walking over to the opposite side there are found some other buildings that had little of note to them or in them, a few rusting drum barrels and rubbish.

11L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg

After this I had a scout around the whole area and found foundations long demolished buildings and rusting trailers.

13L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg

After looking back at the video, I nearly deleted it as seemed like I was skipping about with how badly it was jumping around. Knowing that I most likely won’t return here I had to keep it and there are some Muntjac in the distance of some of the shots that I thought was lucky to get so I’ve kept it.

Naked Explore Rating

Ease of Access 8 – No issues here. A short hop over a gate by the side of a busy road. Then a walk along an overgrown path takes you right over.

History 2 – Nothing of note.

Danger/Safety 8 – Safe enough. Just the usual of nails and glass everywhere. Some bramble.

Harassment 4 – A few very large houses look over the whole area and you can be spotted. There was someone in their garden looking over however they never came over, might have if I stayed longer.

Interesting 3 – It looked more interesting from a distance. A cluster of small stables didn’t hold my interest for long. Was a great location but I wouldn’t go back.

Naked Rating of 25 out of 50

1L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg

2L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg3L Round the back of The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg4L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg5L Light reading in The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg6L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg7L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg8L Peeking in the Caravan at The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg9 Inside the stables in The Barn of Virginia Water .jpg10 The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg11L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg12L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg13L The Barn of Virginia Water.jpg
14L  From the road with some Munkjack near the The Barn of Virginia Water (12).jpg

Had some feedback with new info that this place was used as an Alpaca Farm before closeing. Its now been bought over and work is now underway to turn it all into houseing.

Had some feedback with new info that this place was used as an Alpaca Farm before closeing. Its now been bought over and work is now underway to turn it all into houseing.
So, more oxygen-producing 'save the planet' farmland to be concreted over! The stables and caravan reminded me of when I worked for Olympic showjumper Alison Westwood c 1966. I lived in a less salubrious caravan standing near the stable block where Maverick VII had his loose box.

So, more oxygen-producing 'save the planet' farmland to be concreted over! The stables and caravan reminded me of when I worked for Olympic showjumper Alison Westwood c 1966. I lived in a less salubrious caravan standing near the stable block where Maverick VII had his loose box.
Yep and houseing that no one can afford. Had to look up Alison Westwood, was very interesting read.

Yep and houseing that no one can afford. Had to look up Alison Westwood, was very interesting read.
Attached are two photos of Maverick VII, with Gillian Rout, my fellow groom. Between us we looked after Maverick and Alison Westwood's other horses. The date: January1967.

Attachments

• Gillian Rout with Maverick VII. Jan 1967 - 2 JPEG.jpg
    Gillian Rout with Maverick VII. Jan 1967 - 2 JPEG.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Gillian Rout with Maverrick VII. Jan 1967 - 1 JPEG.jpg
    Gillian Rout with Maverrick VII. Jan 1967 - 1 JPEG.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 10
Back