The first report from Venice ?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilW

Reaction score
I was in Venice last October and photographed these old warehouses. They had been built on small islands in lagoon in the 18th century. Since then Venice has gradually sunk and these have been abandoned. We were heading for the island of Torcello, which had a population of 10,000 on the 8th century and only 30 now.

Attachments

• IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    942 KB · Views: 144
Interested as to which part 'is stretching it a little bit'. My description of the buildings and Torcello is accurate.

Interested as to which part 'is stretching it a little bit'. My description of the buildings and Torcello is accurate.
Brief, and to the point.........(with the emphasis on 'brief').....;)
Perhaps something more like THIS next time?

… but it gives me an idea! Until the pandemic hit us we used to travel to Venice most years and a Venetian friend often took us to out of the way places. I'm sure if I look through my photos I'll find something suitable. I just need to find the backups from a couple of visits we made to abandoned islands. When we do eventually go back I'll ask our friend to take us to anywhere that might be of interest here. So thank you @PhilW for the idea. I appreciate your intentions.

Brief, and to the point.........(with the emphasis on 'brief').....;)
Perhaps something more like THIS next time?
I've been to all of the islands mentioned in the article you linked. They're not derelict, just not on the main tourist trail.

I've been to all of the islands mentioned in the article you linked. They're not derelict, just not on the main tourist trail.
I've been to Venice several times over the last 50 years and must admit to only setting foot on The main Island, Burano, Torcello, Murano and the Lido, but have been intrigued by the sight of many of the small derelict cemetery islands, that you pass, when cruising the Venetian Lagoon. 50 years ago there were a lot of semi-derelict properties on the main Venice island itself ;).

I showed uninhabited islets, just with one abandoned building. I compared Torcello (no photos) with a 10,000 population in the 8th century & about 30 now.

Out in the lagoon there are (or were) a good few derelict navigation aids with what appeared to be a watch post on top....
Never did find out quite what they were ....

View attachment 506889
I recognise these as I saw ones on an island which used to be part of the Naval Base. I now hosts a Marina.They are mini pill boxes for if the Allies wanted to attack the Venice Naval Base (We did not)

I showed uninhabited islets, just with one abandoned building. I compared Torcello (no photos) with a 10,000 population in the 8th century & about 30 now.
PhilW that comment I made was aimed at the link in John D's comment, not your original comment.

I've been to Venice several times over the last 50 years and must admit to only setting foot on The main Island, Burano, Torcello, Murano and the Lido, but have been intrigued by the sight of many of the small derelict cemetery islands, that you pass, when cruising the Venetian Lagoon. 50 years ago there were a lot of semi-derelict properties on the main Venice island itself ;).
I'm lucky in having a friend who takes us around on a small boat, but it is possible to get to quite a few (most of the ones in the article you linked) by public boat. Well worth doing when the main islands are packed. You can also get the number 11 bus on the Lido and take it until it reaches the ferry to Chioggia — it goes across a string of islands, the bus boards a ferry for some of the journey.

Latest posts

Back