The Middlesex Hospital Part 2, London - Dec 07

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

za gringo

Reaction score
The Middlesex Hospital Part 2, London - REPORT

I'll skip the blurb. See Part 1 for that.

PART 2: Misc, Roof, Wards, Chapel Of Rest

Misc: It seems like the building has been surveyed for architectual heritage as there are 1 or 2 signs like this from the Museum of London. One of the lecture theatures and this must be where the towel landed.

dscf6704su6.jpg

dscf6927bl1.jpg

dscf6937je1.jpg

Roof: London skyline BT Tower, Center Point, Millenium Wheel etc. You can just about make out the sky/cloud scanning lights that are in Trafalgar Square. Also a shot looking down at the some of the old parts of the hospital ( note the weird blue yellow triangle late addition! )

dscf6550gs4.jpg

dscf6576mt8.jpg

dscf6577pj6.jpg

dscf6647ob2.jpg

dscf6655ub8.jpg

dscf6657to9.jpg

dscf6661kf3.jpg

dscf6664gq5.jpg

dscf6666jb4.jpg

dscf6667yt3.jpg

dscf6709xa3.jpg

dscf6707aw1.jpg

Wards:

dscf6743hw1.jpg

dscf6749kq9.jpg

dscf6754ro6.jpg

dscf6764yd7.jpg

This must be the topsyturvy ward. See how they have to tie the beds to the floor :)

dscf6773fr9.jpg

dscf6790er8.jpg

dscf6813vm3.jpg

dscf6815wo4.jpg

dscf6819xn0.jpg

dscf6823fz4.jpg

dscf6768cf4.jpg

dscf6915rq3.jpg

dscf6775ace5.jpg

dscf6775iq5.jpg

dscf6777aq2.jpg

Chapel Of Rest: Marble slab with iron legs, trashed body frigidaire (room for 4), weird coffinlike thing in the resting place room. Room to que in whilst waiting to see the coffinlike thing and "LIMBS TO BE INCINERATED ARE NOT TO BE STORED IN MORTUARY" Grim! ....... but then a compelling kinda urge to to find some gore to turn my stomach took over and so I set off to find the LIMB INCENERATER ROOM.

dscf6597rw6.jpg

dscf6600qg6.jpg

dscf6601aa1.jpg

dscf6635he2.jpg

dscf6931nd1.jpg

Love that Chapel of rest, all that stone work is gorgeous, and the decoration in there and all around the ceiling is lovely. love it.

Did you find the limb incinerator room? lol.

Love all the views over london, the BT tower looks great.

Cheers,

:) Sal

Last edited:
These pictures really sent a chill through my heart. Especially the ones of the wards. In the mid 70's, I was suddenly taken ill in Leicester Square (I was born and bred in London) and was rushed by ambulance to The Middlesex. I was on the Women's medical ward for over a week, and during that time saw many patients come, and go :cry: The wards pictures bring it all back - although strictly speaking that's not necessary as I remember it all so well. Even to the positions of the radiators and windows! The two doors at the end were to the loo/bathroom as I recall. The nurse's station was in the middle, at the front of the ward. I began my stay at the top end (right beside the nurse's station) and ended it at the bottom end - beside the loos.

I seem to remember shiny brickwork too, possibly in the corridors/stairwells? Either polished green or brown. The food there was great, btw! ;)

Thanks so much for posting these pics...I didnt even know the hospital had closed, but sort of suspected.But I am very relieved to hear they are keeping the chapel at least.

*sighs* It never, *ever* ceases to amaze me how irreplaceable historic buildings like this, examples of living history, are allowed to be wrecked and pulled down to make way for insipid, modern, luxury dwellings....:icon_evil

Best,

D.

amazing pics

Thanks very much for posting these. I have come on here especially to see them. I trained /lived/worked at the Middlesex and your pics have brought back some happy/sad memories but sad to see it all destroyed. The Chapel was /is beautiful and so were many of the mosaic on the walls of the ward areas. I wonder if I could get copies of some of these somehow? j:question:

jemao8 - how I agree with your sentiments - I always feel saddened when I see these great institutions pulled down to make for housing or a supermarket. How many donations were made to build, equip and support these hospitals - how many bear the benfactors name?? aAll gone at the touch of bulldozers strating button. Maybe I am a romantic rather then a realist. I always feel sad at looking at these photos and am so appreciative of the people who take risks to bring us these photos for us to gaze in awe, to cherish and to resore our memories - Than k you guys
I feel sad so very sad.......:cry:

Back