The Plug - July 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjobs

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Carr Mill Dam in St. Helens, originally built to power mills, it was greatly expanded to supply the sankey canal in the 1750's. It was further enlarged when they upgraded the railway lines, and something that wikipedia won't tell you is that I grew up about half a mile away and would swim and fish tehre constantly.

While Stoka and I were in the area looking at something else, and testing the new dinghies we'd bought, we happened upon this by pure chance, lol.

Originally I thought that it was the end of the drain plug for the dam, it's been emptied a few times, but not while I've been alive. Now I'm not sure. It could be where the water was taken to supply the canal, it certainly heads off in the right direction, but the name's sticking for now.

It's very short, but it's my fave so far, just because of where it is really, and it is lovely and unchaved. The only real signs of previous people is carpet over the pipes at the end, and some "graf" scratched out of the calcium deposits at the end.

It's a brick arched affair, with a steel pipe all the way long, changing in width and height in a couple of places.

At the end, a brick wall with two pipes coming out. The open ended one looks like it ends in a blanking plate, but I reckon I'm going to go look see when I've got a skate board. :D

2687198540_55ceefdbe5.jpg

2686382073_e54ee7deda.jpg

2687195116_78ffbdda32.jpg

2687194210_ba19cd9c2e.jpg

2687193108_b15c270a6b.jpg

2687191724_b2d662ff71.jpg

2687187854_9591d7c9f0.jpg

The rest are on my Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/big-jobs/sets/72157606284211505/

Good work matey. Seems a bit crazy to have pipes passing through what could easily be described as a larger pipe! :p
Good pics :)

Lb:jimlad:

King al, it doesn't go far at all, hundred metres or so, I'm terrible at judging distances. It'd be easier if it didn't bend so much. lol.

That looks exactly like a level off Half Life 2! Seriously, it looks so similar it's almost like thats where the got the idea from! Cool.

Excellent pics mate, love all the brickwork in there. Not so sure about it getting smaller/narrower and lower :eek: Did you have to walk in between the pipes or on top of them? (been puzzling about that since i replied on t'other forum lol and finally got around to asking lmao)

Like all the colours too,

Cheers,

:) Sal

Thats lovely, and beautifully lit too. You a Fenix man by any chance? The pipes and vealves are rather interesting too.

It's not treated water, it's straight out of the dam.

Not a fenix, Tesco's own 3 watt CC LED. :D

Oh, and you walk either side of the pipe, it only gets to two pipes right at the end.

That looks exactly like a level off Half Life 2! Seriously, it looks so similar it's almost like thats where the got the idea from! Cool.

I'm going with Red Faction 2. But I know what you mean.
Nice work Bigjobs. Groovy.

Not a fenix, Tesco's own 3 watt CC LED. :D

They are great torches. My mine-exploring mate Sausage got one and it is brilliant underground, nice tight focus for those long tunnels. Lovely set of pictures mate.

Red faction??? Half Life??? whats this? Am i getting old? Sorry, I am completely lost.

Latest posts

Back