The Terraced Catacombs Of Highgate Cemetery [North London].

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were those nefarious deeds carried out in the catacombs and also private vaults which were interfered with, in the very early seventies, several corpses were exposed and desecrated. The case went to court, where one of the charges leveled against the defendant was 'grave desecration'. He was jailed.

They were showing the building of British Antarctic survey labs & they had to use hydraulic jacks to stop them sinking into the ground.
They said the technology for this was first used on the coffin lift in these crypts, & did a pretty good walk through vid in the catacombs
They used one of those in the Chapel at Highgate, were were told about it and shown the lift doors in the floor

Well, what I can say is you would relish the visit, we all did, it was awfully spooky and very dark, fortunately, I had a powerful torch with me, I inspected one of the walls very closely, it had a tiny rivulet of water running down, it certainly led to the atmosphere. Unfortunately closed now "for repairs" with no foreseeable date for a reopening. It seems to be the case likewise for West Norwood Cemetery, which I haven't [yet] seen.

Latest posts

Back