The torch and lighting thread.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there's the torches I own and the ones I use :wink:
Current exploring line up consists of my current favourite a Lenser H7R.2 (rechargeable and hands free), a now battered Lenser Police Tech Focus, A Lenser P7 (mainly as a backup or spare torch for exploring with mates who think a phone is acceptable...). Some times my snap-on COB LED inspection light joins me if I want a less focused background light or if where I'm going is particularly messy.

I also have a stock of Cyalume light sticks (the proper military ones with a NSN) which I have the 12hr green for general use and the 5min ultra orange which is good for about 30 mins which is fine for finding your way out of somewhere should all other light sources fail its also perfect for exploring buildings in urban areas at night where torches are a no go as the light given off mimics street lighting pretty well!

So I recently decided to modify a cheap cree light I've had for a while to make the 'Perfect' light painting torch. I've got many torches but I was after something that could paint up dark spaces super evenly and show all the details super clearly.

I spent some time nerding out and really thinking about what makes the perfect 'Light painting' torch.

Beam
A torch with a nice soft floody beam will nicely light up a space very evenly, but won't travel far so won't reach to the end of a long tunnel. A focused throwy torch will easily light up a long tunnel, but leaves streaky light as the hotspot of the light is harsh and can make painting evenly tricky.

This leads me onto focusable lights like the trusty Led Lenser P7.2. A very versatile torch and great for painting as it can be both zoomed in for long tunnels and zoomed out for nice soft even lighting. A great torch no doubt, but not very bright at 320 Lumens and the tint isn't brilliant either. Also using AAA batteries isn't the best power source IMO. The only downside of a focus-able torch is that it wastes a lot of lumens through lens inefficiencies compared to a fixed focus torch.

Lumens
I think something around 500 Lumens is probably enough for most uses. You could almost argue that a lower output light is better for painting as you have to take a longer exposure photo. This gives you more time to carefully paint an area meaning that the spread of light can created more evenly with no burnt out bits. Trying to paint evenly over 5 seconds is going to be much harder than doing it over 45 seconds.

Tint and CRI
Ever used a cheapy cree torch and noticed how everything is a horrible blue tint?
That's because they use a cheapy LED with a very low CRI rating, so it casts a blue tint on everything rather than showing the true colour of an object.

A 'Hi-CRI' torch solves this as the light spectrum has a wider range of colours so brings out the true colours of whatever your lighting up.
A light with a nice tint and CRI rating (Colour Rendition Index) can really make colours pop out and bring out some lovely detail.

CRI is measured in percentage, and anything 85 CRI and above is considered 'Hi-CRI'. Your standard Chinese cree light or Lenser will be something around 60-70 CRI. An old Incandescent light bulb torch has a CRI of 100, so LED technology hasn't quite caught up with them yet.

When it comes to the tint of a torch, it can either be Blue, White or Yellow. A warmer slightly yellow tint tends to produce a nicer image, but this is a personally preference thing.

The last thing is battery source. It has to be Lithium 18650 as this has the best power density of any commonly available battery at the moment.

Knowing all this I decided that the ideal torch would have to be:

Focus-able
Hi-CRI (90+)
Uses 18650 Batteries
around 500 Lumens
A warmish tint of around 4500K to 4000K.

It's very hard to find a torch like this for sale, as there isn't really any HI-CRI focus-able torches on the market, so I would clearly have to make my own.

Here is my old light in bits. The LED was an old nasty one with blue tint and it wasn't very bright (around 250 Lumens?) It was zoomable, but a bit rough and stiff so need a bit of cleaning up.

pX8nYAr.jpg

So the simple solution was to buy a new LED and a better driver board to provide more power. More power equals more Lumens. Luckily you can buy these pre-soldered onto a board that virtually drop straight in the torch bodies.

I settled for a Nichia 219C LED at 4000K tint. It had a CRI of 93, so ideal.
The new driver board put out 3 amps of power, so should be enough for a bit more output.

All of this came to about £6 from a kaidomain.com. Not bad!

While I was waiting for the parts to arrive I decided to bling up the body of the torch and add some personal touches, because I clearly had nothing better to do!

Using a Dremel I removed the black anodized finish back to the aluminium and polished it till it was shiny.

2eX2Pda.jpg

Finally after almost 3 weeks my new LED parts arrived. I soldered the new parts in and added some thermal paste to dissipate the extra heat that it would be generated. I have access to a laser engraver through work, so decided to Laser engrave it too.

I dub thee 'The Painter'.

The final product

44cvY5E.jpg

JtYI4k5.jpg

NaBPM9h.jpg

to3sEZi.jpg

This is my the tint compared to my Led Lenser M7 (which has a pretty blue tint)

Led Lenser M7

NluQQeR.jpg

'The Painter'

yBo6uFE.jpg

And a test paint at Coulsdon Deep Shelter

gGjC0Rj.jpg

It was a lot of work for what some people may seem as a very small improvement, but I'm pretty happy with it!

Most importantly though, its shiny!

Last edited:
That's a good idea, but is that what happened to all those 3.5 inch floppy disks. I might make a pen holder like yours using 3.5 inch floppy disks.

Man you’ve got a serious fetish going on! Seriously though, glad the project worked and that’s a great write up and valuable info. I recently got one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IB9TWT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven’t given it a proper test yet but been faffing around with it at 6am at work and it’s great because you can adjust the tint and it is bloody bright. So hopefully I can match the tint of my lenser.

Maybe we should meet up and do an A/B comparison. I doubt I will get such a smooth result as your pic, it’s damn near perfect. Would be interesting to do the exact same pic twice just changing the light source.

Man you’ve got a serious fetish going on! Seriously though, glad the project worked and that’s a great write up and valuable info. I recently got one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IB9TWT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven’t given it a proper test yet but been faffing around with it at 6am at work and it’s great because you can adjust the tint and it is bloody bright. So hopefully I can match the tint of my lenser.

Maybe we should meet up and do an A/B comparison. I doubt I will get such a smooth result as your pic, it’s damn near perfect. Would be interesting to do the exact same pic twice just changing the light source.

I've got two of these and use them as studio lights.

Damn but that's good, My Grandsons finished building his 3D printer so he will enjoy a new project,

Petzl Duobelt with the Omni V5 upgrade for my main light.
Led Lenser P7.2 for my handheld.

Also got a Duracell £20 job that's got a handy flood panel on it and an Energiser Vision HD+ headtorch as spares/lighting areas for pics. There's normally a Petzl Tikka in my bag too, picked that up in a lay by, that's my true 'get out of jail' light. Do normally carry a 150lm floodlight for lunch/picnic breaks too.

All backed up by more spare batteries than you could shake a stick at.

I'd rather have more light/battery than I'll ever need than need it and not have it.

I'm well happy with my little Emisar D4 torch, it's 3500lumens and so small it can fit at the bottom of your jeans pocket. The only downside is the heat it emits is borderline dangerous. It burns paper quite easily.

Just use a petezl head torch which is my main light for my events work. If I can get away with I might use up to 4 flash guns. Looking at light panels just now after using Brewtals one on my last trip out.

Latest posts

Back