Thomas Bolton copperworks Froghall - December 2007

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarboat

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Thomas Bolton' made the cable for the first Atlantic telegraph. The company once operated at Oakamoor and Froghall but now only the Froghall premises remains. Sadly most of the buildings have now been demolished and are to be replaced with the usual housing type development. :(

Christmas week 2007 - As I could not find anybody else interested in a day exploring I headed off alone to see bits missed out on a previous explore. This is a large site and I had wanted to return to see what else was accessible. The closed areas were being stripped in a desultory manner and there was also evidence of chav activity which had not been evident last time I visited.

A happy time delving into corners and lots still not seen when I had to leave as the light was fading.

64.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

36.jpg

The blue room at the end of the foundry

29.jpg

The 'Master Controller' according to the label. - All power is now mine!

26.jpg

30.jpg

Keyboard entropy

38.jpg

39.jpg

63.jpg

75.jpg

Packing cases labelled for Siemens

78.jpg

Lots of cranes here

80.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

89.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

94.jpg

96.jpg

The Engineers' offices - I liked the 'Wipe Your Feet' notice on the door.

54.jpg

The toilets adjoining the 'radioactive' room.

97.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic site and excellent pics as always, Tarboat. Loads of interesting things to look at. Love those wooden packing cases and the blue room. :)

Very nice. :) There are some great shots there. Particularly loving the ancient packing crates in the last pic!

Looks a good'n that mate.

Are you sure it's gone? We were up there the other week and saw something on the far side of the Bolton site that looked like this place, we should've gone for a closer look really but were busy with something else.

Looks a good'n that mate.

Are you sure it's gone? We were up there the other week and saw something on the far side of the Bolton site that looked like this place, we should've gone for a closer look really but were busy with something else.

A lot has gone although some of the buildings on the south side of the railway were still standing last time I looked, as were the remaining buildings that are currently still in use. All the buildings with the cranes, machinery and packing cases plus the engineers' offices have been completely flattened.

Picture the scene, here I am looking at this excellent thread, and get to the last picture, and happen to say 'oh, look at those chests'. Now imagine me explaining this to the missus that I was actually admiring wooden chests in a copper factory, as opposed to those of a different variety often found on the internet :):mrgreen:

Really great set of photos, I really like the blue shelf for some reason!

Interesting set of photos, i think this is the same bolton works that i visted with RM - we explored the offices & engineering workshop on the other side of the road back in 06, didnt realise that any of the main site was out of use.

Dave

Latest posts

Back