Titterstone Clee Quarry (pic heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borntobemild

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Taken from Wikipedia

Titterstone Clee is midway between Cleobury and Ludlow. The area is rich in minerals has been quarried for dhustone or dolerite and is littered with many abandoned quarries and mine shafts.

Crumbling remains of quarry buildings now litter the hill, reminders of a bygone industry that once employed more than 2,000 people here.

An old railway incline is still visible, and a large concrete structure, under which the wagons were filled with stone, still remains next to the modern day car park.
Railway infrastructure remained until the late 1960s.

This web site has a bit of history of the cable-operated railway incline which was once the longest in the country at 1988 yards.

http://www.photobydjnorton.com/CleeHillIncline.html

I walked from Clee Hill village (which contains a pub called the Kremlin), up two of the old railway inclines past the still active Dhustone quarry to the top, where the lopsided grey rectangular buildings associated with the quarry make an interesting contrast with the shiny white domes of the Air Traffic Control network.

The whole place has a very strange feel to it. Must be quite spooky in the fog. Some of the smaller concrete structures looked like modern day standing stones, arranged in regular lines, the larger buildings like a lopsided WW2 military citadel or a set from Blake's Seven (you have to be of a certain age for that one) and immense slagheaps visible miles away.

This structure was the terminus of an aerial ropeway linking Dhustone quarry with one of the railway inclines

ac006.jpg

Footpath goes underneath the Clee Hill Incline

ac012.jpg

Looking up the incline. It was steep.

ac013.jpg

View from top of incline

ac014.jpg

Loading bay from the side

ac024.jpg

and above

ac018.jpg

A couple of the other buildings (Purpose unknown)

ac020.jpg

ac019.jpg

Terminus of plateway from higher level quarry

ac026.jpg

Half buried boiler on the way down

ac031.jpg

more pictures here

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/borntobemild/clee/

Well Done, Good Report and Fantastic Pics,
As soon as they get an escalator installed I’ll go and take a look, Thanks

That's pretty good, I like that. There is a similar place near Brassington in Derbyshire with some brutal concrete remains, not quite as many as this place though.

M :)

Back