Transporter Bridge - December 2010 - Middlesbrough

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horus

Reaction score
Transporter Bridge - December 2010 - Middlesbrough

Visited with.. Bunk3r and Joe

Following a 1907 Act of Parliament the bridge was built at a cost of £68,026 6s 8d (£5,330,000 as of 2010), by Sir William Arrol & Co. of Glasgow between 1910 and 1911 to replace an earlier steam ferry. A transporter bridge was chosen because Parliament ruled that the new scheme of crossing the river had to avoid affecting the river navigation. The opening ceremony on the 17 October 1911 was performed by Prince Arthur of Connaught.

The Tees Transporter Bridge has an overall length (including cantilevers) of 851 feet (259 m), leaving a span between the centres of the towers of 580 feet (180 m), the beam of the bridge being carried at a height of 160 feet (49 m) above the road. This combined with an overall height of 225 feet (69 m), makes this bridge the second largest example remaining in the world; the largest being the bridge across the River Usk, at Newport in South Wales.

During World War Two the superstructure of the bridge was hit by a bomb. In 1953, the gondola got stuck half-way. While it was stuck, gale force winds lashed water to within inches of it.

In 1974, the comedy actor Terry Scott, travelling between his hotel in Middlesbrough and a performance at the Billingham Forum, mistook the bridge for a regular toll crossing and drove his car off the end of the roadway, landing in the safety netting beneath.

In December 1993, the bridge was awarded the Institution of Mechanical Engineers' highest honour, The Heritage Plaque, for engineering excellence, in recognition of the Council's efforts in keeping the bridge in good working order. Its historical importance was also recognised in 1985 by its listing as a Grade II* Listed Building and its prominence as a local landmark was further enhanced in 1993 by the installation of flood lights that operate during the winter months.

It has featured in films and TV programmes including Billy Elliot, The Fast Show, Spender and Steel River Blues. In the millennium celebrations of 2000, fireworks were fired from its length. The storyline of the third series of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, saw the bridge dismantled to be sold to and re-erected in the USA. The local council received calls from people worried that the bridge was really being pulled down, with the BBC adding a disclaimer on the end of the final episode of the series stating that 'The Transporter Bridge remains in Middlesbrough'.

tb2.jpg

LRMiddlesbroughTransporterBridge7.jpg

Historic photographs documenting the birth of a Teesside landmark have come to light.

transporter-bridge-archive-242798789.jpg

transporter-bridge-712983481.jpg

My Photo's...

IMG_0002800x533.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Hope you enjoyed...​

Wow....
wish my nightime shots would turn out like this....
Middlesborough never looked so good....i especially liked the pic with the Power Station Chimneys...

well done :)

cheers, this was before i found a program that makes them look better, just could'nt be bothered to re-do them.

Yes my brother was the first and last to climb it before he died, most explorers are leaving that for him in memory

great old pics of it and it must be said night time shots are the best for places like this, it just doesnt work in the day :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back