Type 22 Pillbox

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pip

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hi,
This is, I believe, a type 22 pillbox. It's at the edge of 'Great North Woods' near Cuffley, Herts.
DSC_0043.png

DSC_0042.png

The next pic shows the entrance, which is tiny.
DSC_0044.png

DSC_0047.png

This is a ricochet deflector (I think that's what it's called!) inside the box.
DSC_0046.png

DSC_0048.png

DSC_0059.png

DSC_0056.png

The next few photo's are of a small building, about 50 metres further into the woods. I think this was a ammunitions store of some kind.
DSC_0051.png

DSC_0052.png

DSC_0053.png

DSC_0054.png

DSC_0055.png

After driving away, about 50-100m down the road, on the opposite side, I noticed some anti-tank concrete blocks. I didn't have time to stop again, but it's on my 'to-do list'.

Hope you like the photo's

Pip

Hi Pip

Oh, I like that. :D

I reckon you're right about the other building being an ammo store, imo. I found a top edge of one which had been buried, in a place where an ammo store had been, and was built in the same way with a reinforced concrete roof on brick walls. There was a lead lining beneath the concrete (possibly as additional waterproofing?) and it looks from your pic as if that one has it too.

Enjoyed your photos and look forward to seeing the anti-tank blocks when you've a chance.
Thanks for that.
Foxy :)

Last edited:
A couple of good little finds there Pip :)
Do you know any history about the area? Did there use to be any airfields or bases nearby?

Lb:cool:

Hi, i believe there are 2 type 24's on Potters Bar golf course.
Nice pics:mrgreen:

Nope, it's no use, trying to resist crackin' yet another cheesy joke, but resistance is futile............at least this type of bunker doesn't need raking or topping up with sand then!!! :mrgreen:
Thanks for the info Sneaker :)

Lb:cool:

Yes, thanks for that info sneaker...... more places for me to go visit:)

I only visited 'fortress Hertfordshire' briefly, but didn't notice any reference to a 'spigot' gun emplacement in Brookmans Park that i've heard about. So, I'm gonna go read some more lol

Pip

Try www.brookmans.com, and look under history, sorry i forgot to mention this in my last post but lots of info there, even i did not realise there was so much around that way! and there is a mention of a spigot gun.

Last edited:
Back