Unity Hall, Wakefield, August 2013

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakey Lad

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Opened in 1902 by the Wakefield Wholesale Co-operative Society, Unity Hall was also a major venue for dances in the 1950s and 1960s.

But in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the venue attracted some of the biggest acts in the glam, punk, post-punk and heavy metal era.

The Specials, Boomtown Rats, Human League, The Skids, The Only Ones, Iron Maiden, Penetration, Eurythmics, Def Leppard, and Gary Glitter are some of the acts to perform there in its heyday.

The Pretenders also played their first ever gig at Unity Hall in 1978 supporting Wakefield power-pop band Strangeways.

Unity Hall helped to get Strangeways into the spotlight, and they ended up securing gigs with The Ramones, Judas Priest and many others.

But the entertainment came to a close at the end of the 1990s and the building has stood empty ever since.

Having been wanting to take a look in here for ages i dropped lucky and took full advantage of a small window of opportunity - My only regret being I didn't spend longer inside and get some better photos.

Thanks for looking​

Fantastic photos! What a place, and what history!
Never even heard of this one, cheers for sharing :)

Really great pictures, I especially like the lift sign :) Would love a look at this place, myself!

I would imagine that the atmosphere in there was powerful. These old concert halls - and theatres especially - have a "feel" to them that one doesn't find everywhere. A lovely shoot and report. Thank you.

tis a shame when venues with that kinda history end up like this, looks a nice place.

sweet pics.

Latest posts

Back