University of Derby High Peak Campus - July '09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apopcalyptic

Reaction score
Morning all,

This place has been on my radar for a long, long time now. I seem to spend an awful lot of time on the A515 between Manchester and Leicestershire, and everytime I pass Harpur Hill I have to drive through, and ogle this vast site. After a false start (a day early :rolleyes:), this visit took place with Jimba, ekp09 and KingofDerby and was sponsored by the letter 'G'.

Nothing could prepare us for the size of the site. We've already made a second visit, and to see everything a third will definitely be required.

Formerly the 'High Peak College', the site was integrated into The University of Derby at some point in the '90s. It became the 'Harpur Hill campus', with each building named after some of the Peak District's most beautiful dales. In 2005 with a replacement campus built in the centre of Buxton, the campus was closed, silently decaying to become what you see here today.

hh0709_01.jpg

The starting point - We believe this building to be Sports Administration. It's labelled 'The Ashwood Dale Building'.
hh0709_02.jpg

The very prospectus from my sig... lol :p
hh0709_03.jpg

These security lights are long since dead.
hh0709_07.jpg

I can't be the only one compelled to stick their head through a hole in the wall right......?
hh0709_10.jpg

Some clever dick has managed to tag the ceiling between the cavity walls....
hh0709_09.jpg

From here we headed to the Halls of Residence - All was very samey in here so not an awful lot to show :

Grass growing inside. This is the ground floor, but the upper floors were the same.
hh0709_11.jpg

The owner of this container won't be happy. It should have been returned years ago.
hh0709_14.jpg

This corridor took us towards the main administration building, the refectory and library.
hh0709_16.jpg

The library is possibly the most trashed room we saw. Evidence of the pipes being removed is throughout.
hh0709_21.jpg

Looking up to the Library.
hh0709_23.jpg

Next we ambled to the Art block. Amazingly whole rooms are essentially untouched. Student's artwork remains, forgotten. (it's here that I realise I have no rooms shots.... d'oh)
hh0709_33.jpg

This incredible bag from an old bike tyre suited KoD so well he's going to make another :D
hh0709_36.jpg

'Your Route to Success' - Only the 'Y' should be capitalised...
hh0709_37.jpg

Our final view before departing.
hh0709_38.jpg

Last edited:
Our second visit took place a few days later. It soon became clear that we weren't going to be getting in in a hurry. Disappointed, we wandered up the hill that Harpur Hill is famous for.

Our disappointment quickly became astonishment : A tropical lagoon... in the heart of the Peaks?!
blue.jpg

Time passed. We went 'elsewhere' (pics to follow ;). And then, we returned. Time was marching on, but we were determined to get some more value out of our day. We found that our early exit point had been sealed (curses!), but fortunately our original access point had not(w00t!).
We scooted towards the science block.

The classrooms were mostly stripped...
hh0809_02.JPG

...apart from a CFP Kymograph & Stimulator (ekp09 got excited...lol)...
hh0809_03.JPG

...but it was the lab prep. room that interested us most.
The Emma ][ Computer!
hh0809_04.JPG

A resistor of some description(!?)
hh0809_05.JPG

Chemical bottles.
hh0809_06.JPG

Racist scum.
hh0809_08.JPG

Other explorers or scrubs, we're not sure. They were banging and generally drawing a lot of attention to themselves, so we assume scrubs. Either way, they were trying to scare us. Time was marching on anyway, so off we trotted leaving the scrubs in our wake.

Thanks for reading, and I'm sure Jimba will be along presently to post her pics :)

Last edited:
Good stuff. its a shame it has got so trashed since i last went. The libary was reasonably untrashed back then

Good stuff. its a shame it has got so trashed since i last went. The libary was reasonably untrashed back then

Thanks. We found that between our two visits (a matter of days), the library, reception and refectory had become significantly more trashed :(

The art block is still relatively untouched, though right through the corridors the ceiling tiles have been ripped out to get at the pipes.

Nice to see another angle on this old place,you found some interesting items.Its decidedly more trashed since we went last year,especially the library.What a waste,its about time they did something with this site now!!!!.

These are some of my photo's from a great day :) (photo's of the second day will follow once I've sorted them out).

The first place we went to, the main corridor.
IMG_5699.jpg

We found these in a box in the corridor...
IMG_5710.jpg

I was amazed at how much stuff was left in this filing cabinet, mainly fractions worksheets.
IMG_5706.jpg

ZAP!
IMG_5721.jpg

We saw this sign just before we were about to leave this building, it was amusing as we saw this AFTER I'd cut myself (my first urbex-related injury).
IMG_5726.jpg

The second place we went - halls of residence.

Trashed room of somesort with a leaking ceiling!
IMG_5737.jpg

Bunkbeds in a room. This seemed strange to me and ekp09 as we're used to the halls rooms in the halls of residence in Derby, which only have one bed per room, but apparently, on the application/preference forms, there was a tick box for in you wanted to share a room.
IMG_5728.jpg

Can you hear the plastic?!
IMG_5746.jpg

These were the floor plans for the Devonshire Royal Campus, the site which is now used by University of Derby Buxton, after this site closed.
IMG_5764.jpg

Random photo's from inside the refrectory/cafeteria.
IMG_5768.jpg

IMG_5878.jpg

IMG_5877.jpg

Views from the roof (not many as we didn't want to be seen ;))
IMG_5795.jpg

IMG_5794.jpg

We found the Photography department, these photo's are of the inside of the darkroom. So amazing to see things left over such as chemicals etc. All of the bulbs had gone from the enlargers.
IMG_5817.jpg

IMG_5820.jpg

The Art department! Lots of fun took place here, including trying on random masks.
IMG_5834.jpg

Something that all urbexers should do!
IMG_5863.jpg

Incredible to see how much work is still around.
IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5847.jpg

Moving into other rooms away from the Art department, we came across some of these things which brought back memories!
IMG_5865.jpg

Random corridor.
IMG_5871.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you like! Second visit photo's coming very soon :)

As promised, here are the photo's from the second visit that took place. (As Apopcolyptic said, a third visit will most certainly have to happen to see the rest). As KingofDerby couldn't make it, JCB Man took his place.

Anyways, this was the site that greeted us when we first arrived at the college/campus...
IMG_5977.jpg

We thought the worst had happened but couldn't see any signs of smoke, so turned around and went up a hill to a "lagoon" that had been recommended to us by james.s (thanks!).

On the way, we came across some burnt cars.
IMG_5978.jpg

The view of High Peak Campus from the top of the hill (or close to the top).
IMG_5989.jpg

After going "elsewhere", we went back to High Peak Campus, and to our relief, the fire engines had gone. Onto the Science block!

But first...some batteries.
IMG_6043.jpg

And NOW to the Science block.
IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6052.jpg

The Science prep room, but I didn't take many photo's in here, I think Apopcalyptic got more than me.
IMG_6057.jpg

Close-up of dials on a TV we came across!
IMG_6062.jpg

Left-over work on a wall.
IMG_6069.jpg

Coloured drawers!
IMG_6080.jpg

Books on the floor, you could probably get a few quid for these!
IMG_6076.jpg

Glass with lettering on.
IMG_6081.jpg

And now, I present you with photo's that didn't seem to fit anywhere.

"WWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"
IMG_6068.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_6067.jpg

I recognise these names from somewhere :lol: ;) :p
IMG_6060.jpg

Thanks again for looking :)

These are TOTALLY wonderful, I studied here in 91-93 and had to go visit yesterday after seeing some other pics. Didn't have the guts to go inside but so wish I had now!!! Great work guys :)

These are TOTALLY wonderful, I studied here in 91-93 and had to go visit yesterday after seeing some other pics. Didn't have the guts to go inside but so wish I had now!!! Great work guys :)

Is there much left? Might go over and take a look!

:( that place looks in a bad state nowadays. :'( It wasn't too bad when we went last year, no the year before 08 lol. I don't supose you got in the Travel and Tourism block did you? I keep meaning to go back and have a look in there, and the hairdressing salon, those are the places we've missed. :(

A friend of mine used to go here years ago, and did the catering course, so when we went gave her a copy of all the pics from the rooms and kitchens she used to be in. She loved her time there, so was shocked at what it was like on our visit. She'd be really shocked if she saw the place now then. :(

Good to see the names still up on the white board. :lol:

Excellent pics guys, I like High Peak.

:) Sal

Latest posts

Back